Redsea Peninsula 600 - 5 months old

Nachopapa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to this system in May from a 10yr old 75G that had gone to the dogs. I had to decide whether to give up the hobby or double down and refocus my efforts and learning. Obviously I chose the latter.

The Good
Here’s what I’ve got running in this, with help from my local reef consultant (former fish store owner) and a bunch of internet searching.

3 Red Sea 160 LEDs
Gyre 300 wave
Since Syncra PSK return pump
Octo 150 S skimmer
Kessil 160 Tuna Flora Refiugium LED
No controller yet.

Fish friends
4 cardinals
Red hawkfish (had him almost 10 years)
Blue damsel (original cycle fish from first tank)
2 clowns
Sailfin
Baby fox face (new)
Lawnmower

The Bad
Me. I over thought and over-rushed everything in the past 5 months. Taking a break and slowing down and lowering my expectations. I’ve fought bad parameters, bad macro algae, bad knowledge and bad practices. Finally getting the tank under my better control (instead of relying on visits every several weeks from my LFS. ATO RODI float from Red Sea is a piece o. Poop and will randomly either not work or dump the full resoviour into the tank. Took it apart, cleaned it and now researching new solutions.

The Ugly
Huge dino outbreak. Fought it back, now a mild one (light cycle is now way, way down). Return pump hose came off, spewed gallons of water all over the floor right before bed. Turns out it was held on with a zip tie. Swapped out for screw clamp. Failed battery UPS. Failed refugium growth, just cleaned it all out (was the source of my nutrient problems). Several dead corals (introduced too soon). Few dead fish (one jumper, two from parameter swings). Lots of $$ down the drain learning these lessons.

Going forward
Pulling back my expectations and keeping things simple. Focusing on keeping parameter swings to be a thing of the past. Keeping fish happy. Then will rebuild the chaeto refugium and get softie corals back (mushrooms, etc.).

Just discovered this site after watching several BRS TV episodes. I did their acquascape guide for my 16g nano and it came out great.

IMG_9895.jpeg

IMG_9898.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back