Perspiration inside of Eheim Jager heater

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My Eheim heater has some perspiration inside of it. While it does not have enough water to collect at the bottom, it is still concerning.
Little back ground. For the last 3 months everything in this hammy down tank has been looking excellent. In the past week all of my Lobos/symphylea have been shrunken up but nothing too too concerning. Yesterday one of my sticks started to show STN. I tested CA, ALK, MAG, NO3, salinity. all of which came back fine.
Last night I decided to search the sump for creatures with my flashlight. I saw a shadow from heat waves coming from the heater. Hard to describe but hard to see with your eye with out the light and impossible to photograph. It is like a thin line waving up to the surface.
This morning I took out the heater to clean it and inspect. The only thing off is the perspiration inside of the glass tube.
Anyone have the same issue? Should I took the heater? Is this normal for an Eheim and I am being paranoid?
IMG_6850.JPG
IMG_6849.JPG

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW this is one of two 2oow heaters. The other does not have any perspiration.

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to buy neotherm heaters next.

This there any belief out there that this could release silica into the water? diatoms have popped up in the last month.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW this is one of two 2oow heaters. The other does not have any perspiration.

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to buy neotherm heaters next.

This there any belief out there that this could release silica into the water? diatoms have popped up in the last month.
Probably not yet, but it will eventually realise other toxins along with stray voltage and eventually full on short out in your water. Great catch!!!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a stray voltage from this heater could be causing the issues with your corals. no way to be sure though.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not yet, but it will eventually realise other toxins along with stray voltage and eventually full on short out in your water. Great catch!!!
Thank you!
I guess this is a reminder to always check your equipment! (Or equipmunk if you are a fan of The League haha)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch Salty.Reefer.

~15 years ago I had one of the infamous Stealth heaters blow up in the middle of the night while I was asleep killing almost everything in a 120g I was running.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would putting my hand in the tank ground me? I have not felt any electricity.
Not always with stray voltage, it wouldn't be the full 120 v, may only be a couple of volts at first.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly new to the hobby, but from what I can see eheim might be one of those companies who is known for making innovative, rock solid reliable products. Then lands a contract with someone like PetSmart and suddenly the priority of mass production and making quotas supercedes other aspects that were once more important. It happens all the time. Hustler mowers and Weathertech floor mats are two brands that come to mind most recently experiencing this.

I love the Finnex titanium, but it’s only a few months old. Time will tell.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just called Eheim and they claim that everything is OK. They claim this is from the lubricant they use to seal the heater and if there was a break in the seal, I would see a collection of water in the bottom (which is not happening as fo right for me). I thought I had the answers but now not so much.

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just called Eheim and they claim that everything is OK. They claim this is from the lubricant they use to seal the heater and if there was a break in the seal, I would see a collection of water in the bottom (which is not happening as fo right for me). I thought I had the answers but now not so much.
That would make sense too....If there was a leak the whole heater should fill up eventually. I've had a few of mine get the condensation but can't tell you if it ever caused any problems. I replace my heaters every year though. They're cheap and will eventually fail so why not.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. My Eheim heater has some perspiration inside of it. While it does not have enough water to collect at the bottom, it is still concerning.
Little back ground. For the last 3 months everything in this hammy down tank has been looking excellent. In the past week all of my Lobos/symphylea have been shrunken up but nothing too too concerning. Yesterday one of my sticks started to show STN. I tested CA, ALK, MAG, NO3, salinity. all of which came back fine.
Last night I decided to search the sump for creatures with my flashlight. I saw a shadow from heat waves coming from the heater. Hard to describe but hard to see with your eye with out the light and impossible to photograph. It is like a thin line waving up to the surface.
This morning I took out the heater to clean it and inspect. The only thing off is the perspiration inside of the glass tube.
Anyone have the same issue? Should I took the heater? Is this normal for an Eheim and I am being paranoid?
IMG_6850.JPG
IMG_6849.JPG
Same here, no issues yet. If I see rust inside, I'll replace

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they don't do the last step in a hermetically sealed environment to finish assembly of heater

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can lubricant cause condensation? condensation is caused by moisture and differences in temperature. i doubt there would be enough moisture in the little amount of lu ricardian they use, to cause all this condensation. sounds like lip service to me.

OP
OP
Salty.Reefer

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that answer scares me, tbh.
Same! He said that it is condensation not perspiration and it is caused by atmospheric pressure. So the weather is going to effect the condesration in my heater that’s under water? Interesting explanation.
Same here, no issues yet. If I see rust inside, I'll replace
Isn’t the heating element titanium?

how can lubricant cause condensation? condensation is caused by moisture and differences in temperature. i doubt there would be enough moisture in the little amount of lu ricardian they use, to cause all this condensation. sounds like lip service to me.
Yeah I’m afraid it might just be lip service. Idk though. See above for his exlplination.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same! He said that it is condensation not perspiration and it is caused by atmospheric pressure. So the weather is going to effect the condesration in my heater that’s under water? Interesting explanation.

Isn’t the heating element titanium?

Yeah I’m afraid it might just be lip service. Idk though. See above for his exlplination.
If they use cheap SS We'll see rust

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back