Pest and Pestilence: What the WORST you have ever faced in your reefing career?

What's worse, a PEST or PESTILENCE? Yes I know it's the same word...

• PESTS: something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc.

Votes: 108 36.9%
  • PESTILENCE: a type of algae or dino outbreak etc.

Votes: 168 57.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 5.8%

• Total voters

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser them too
I tried that. And aiptasia-x and I'm sure a couple other things. Tank was replaced a year ago with a Waterbox 180.5. I'm good now and doing my best to avoid mistake purchases. But still smarting over the loss of coral. I had torches, duncans, hammers, a meat coral, lobo, acans and others. All purchased far below today's prices

reses12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large infestation of Majano Nems in my SPS tank.
Aiptasia eating filefish and carbon dosing got rid of my infestation in my softie tank! I’d say it was one or the other, but I started both at the same time.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst pest was number of snail eating flatworms: would come out at night and attack sand conches, turbos, you name it. Caught them with bottle traps. Took about 6 months to get them all

worst pestilence by far was Dino’s: almost left the hobby after they wiped out my 200 gallon sps. Took almost a year to set the tank right

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown colonial hydroids, not much information out there in how to deal with these, covering any bare space in my mature reef full of coral.
ABB1E6D2-3BAC-46AF-8737-132B50CD52FB.jpeg

Attachments

• 8F9222FB-DAE8-44DE-925E-E4A016273D69.jpeg
    8F9222FB-DAE8-44DE-925E-E4A016273D69.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 55

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that. And aiptasia-x and I'm sure a couple other things. Tank was replaced a year ago with a Waterbox 180.5. I'm good now and doing my best to avoid mistake purchases. But still smarting over the loss of coral. I had torches, duncans, hammers, a meat coral, lobo, acans and others. All purchased far below today's prices
Ouch, never had aptasia take out stuff before. Sad to hear

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeder tanks! I had no idea that they were so prolific. I started out with one a year and a half ago, and have now ended up with five! I've tried to apply Aiptasia-X and lemonjuice to the glass, but nothing has worked to reduce their numbers, they're all still lurking around the house...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've had just about every pest known to the hobby and sometimes it's seemed pretty bad.
But my worst has been equipment failure causing a tank crash.
Had a power outage a couple weeks ago. Not a long one. But when the power came back on, the timer connected to my dosing container ( 1000 ml of All-For-Reef ) got stuck in the on position. I'd just refilled the dosing container with a new 1000ml of AFR.
Over the course of the evening ( power came back on at 7pm) and into the next morning approx 12 hours it dumped about 700 mls of All-For Reef into my 66 gallon lps tank.
I lost 10 torch corals ( every color ) Head count was maybe 70+.
2 hammers. One had 25 heads.
Most all of the favias and all of the chalices.
25 heads of neon green duncan coral.
I was able to save a 2 torch corals, a frogspawn and a hammer. But multiple heads look iffy.
A couple small favia frags.

They say it happens to most at one time or another.
This is my first in almost 40 years of reefing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about our most favorite subject in this hobby, Pest and Pestilences....NOT! Well they're not our favorite subject but we will be talking about them. And YES I know that pest and pestilence are the same thing but for the sake of differentiating between certain pests let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc! Deal? Let's talk about it!

"let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc."

What's the worst PEST you've had to deal with in your reef aquarium?

What's the worst PESTILENCE you've had to overcome in your aquarium?

3ft bobbit worm image via @Blue Seas Aquariums
image.jpg
By far the worse I’ve had is red flatworms .
Next to impossible without using chemicals .
but it is possible ..

They are all gone

CMalevic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to be talking about our most favorite subject in this hobby, Pest and Pestilences....NOT! Well they're not our favorite subject but we will be talking about them. And YES I know that pest and pestilence are the same thing but for the sake of differentiating between certain pests let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc! Deal? Let's talk about it!

"let's consider pests to be something akin to aiptasia or monti eating nudis etc. and the term pestilence to refer to a type of algae or dino outbreak etc."

What's the worst PEST you've had to deal with in your reef aquarium?

What's the worst PESTILENCE you've had to overcome in your aquarium?

3ft bobbit worm image via @Blue Seas Aquariums
image.jpg
How have you taken this out of tank? Mine show up just at night and it is very sensitive to light…

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back