Pest control with size constraints

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I have a Biocube 29 and currently 3 fish. A pair of occy clowns and a firefish. I am interested in a fourth and final fish. I have never had over 20 ppm of nitrate so I am not too worried about bioload. My only thing is that none of the fish in my tank “work” for me. That being said, I think having such a small tank, a CUC is perfectly fine for algae control as well as simply pulling any algae out myself. So, in regards to a fish “working” for me, one that controls algae is not on my radar.

The main thing I am looking for in my forth and final fish is pest control. Of course, the size of my tank severely limits my choices.

What comes to mind first is the Six Line Wrasse. Unfortunately, I am certain nobody on here will recommend that fish to me. I am also very protective over my beloved clownfish. I do not want either of them getting picked on. So, what other options are there? I know Possums and Pink Streaks will probably be perfect but very pricey and hard to find IMO.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow coris wrasse is another good option that eats alot of pest and I know alot of stores keep them in there grow out system to keep pest at bay. They does get too big, usually 4-5 inches. They do also like to dig in the sand and sometime dig themselves into the sand bed.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest control, using fish and/or invertebrates is hit or miss at best. Two hobbyist using the same fish for pest management will report two different experiences. Just how it is. The best advice I can give you is to buy a animal that you want to keep rather than a use case (work). In short buy it because you want it rather than the possibility of it doing something.

As already asked above what is it you are worried about that can't be managed, or mitigated, by hand. A display of that size it could be as simple as reaching in, pulling out a rock, and replacing it or removing a frag plush and gently scrubbing with a toothbrush.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back