Pest ID

tdbeelde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone id these? They look like small anemones with feather like tentacles. But it's hard to get a clear photo of it.

1704217862053.jpeg

mww00ds

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they might be a type of Clove Polyps or maybe Xenia coral. Picture under white lights would help

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia would have a stalk the polyps would branch out from, but this is definitely something like Clove Polyps, Sympodium, Sarcothelia, or Anthelia (I don't know how to tell them apart at this point, unfortunately).

Sympodium is known to be fine (i.e. not invasive) as it's relatively slow growing and easy to contain. Some of the others are fine, but certain kinds of Clove Polyps, Sarcothelia, and Anthelia are know to extremely invasive:
Was going to say, it looks like Blue Clove Polyps to me (though I can't see if the polyps have the little branches shooting off in the pictures) - they're noted for being incredibly invasive. Like, there are multiple articles warning people against them and some people consider tearing down the tank to get rid of them, invasive.
The only solutions I've heard for blue clove polyps aren't reef safe (they might kill off other things in the tank), but the most common treatment I've heard is Fenbendazole. Someone else used Lugol's Iodine, but they also lost some corals from that. Some people say kalk paste or super glue may work, but I haven't seen many people reporting success with it. The links below may help:
I can't find the post, but I recently read someone saying they had a particularly invasive brown strain of clove polyps that survived the fenbendazole treatment too.

Anyway, my advice would be to remove the rock and remove as many of the polyps as you can, rinse it, then put it back in the tank and observe it. If the polyps start coming back, try a more aggressive treatment.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia would have a stalk the polyps would branch out from, but this is definitely something like Clove Polyps, Sympodium, Sarcothelia, or Anthelia (I don't know how to tell them apart at this point, unfortunately).

Sympodium is known to be fine (i.e. not invasive) as it's relatively slow growing and easy to contain. Some of the others are fine, but certain kinds of Clove Polyps, Sarcothelia, and Anthelia are know to extremely invasive:

I can't find the post, but I recently read someone saying they had a particularly invasive brown strain of clove polyps that survived the fenbendazole treatment too.

Anyway, my advice would be to remove the rock and remove as many of the polyps as you can, rinse it, then put it back in the tank and observe it. If the polyps start coming back, try a more aggressive treatment.
Still looks like xenia to me, the video works on my device, heres a closeup screenshot
Screenshot_20240103_092609_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks like xenia to me, the video works on my device, heres a closeup screenshot
Screenshot_20240103_092609_Samsung Internet~2.jpg
Seeing the base there, it could be Xenia (which, while still known for spreading fast, spreads manageably/isn't nearly as invasive as clove polyps could be).

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
I looked at the different species and it is the Thalassianthus. Is there a natural enemy for these?
Your best bet in this case would be to treat it like aiptasia or majanos. Kalkwasser paste in the center of each one will kill it, for example. Now I just need to find someone in the USA with your problem. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back