Pest on torch?

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I got this torch a couple of months ago. It was happy for the first month or so, but it has been semi closed the last couple of months. When I looked at it, I noticed some stuff on the base of the torch. I believe one of the things is a feather duster? It has a pretty long lube that wraps around the base of the torch. The other thing are these two white balls? Any idea what these are?

Could either of these be the reason it is mad?

thanks!!

BA6029A8-9759-4F5F-949B-7FCE2CE3EAC1.jpeg 8EF4912F-BBCC-4D59-BBF9-4C108367E56F.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like a sponge of some sort. As far as the feather duster goes, from what I can tell in this photo, it looks more like a small aiptasia to me. A closer pic of that could help, because either that or the sponge can be quite irritating to a coral.

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I got this torch a couple of months ago. It was happy for the first month or so, but it has been semi closed the last couple of months. When I looked at it, I noticed some stuff on the base of the torch. I believe one of the things is a feather duster? It has a pretty long lube that wraps around the base of the torch. The other thing are these two white balls? Any idea what these are?

Could either of these be the reason it is mad?

thanks!!

BA6029A8-9759-4F5F-949B-7FCE2CE3EAC1.jpeg 8EF4912F-BBCC-4D59-BBF9-4C108367E56F.jpeg
Looks to me like a sponge of some sort. As far as the feather duster goes, from what I can tell in this photo, it looks more like a small aiptasia to me. A closer pic of that could help, because either that or the sponge can be quite irritating to a coral.
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, it’s hard to take a closer photo. I think it’s a feather duster, because the end of it will shoot back into that tube anytime I get close to it.

OP
OP
bennycbenny

bennycbenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• CC7003AF-5363-4E22-85A4-8CF9B0F119A0.jpeg
    CC7003AF-5363-4E22-85A4-8CF9B0F119A0.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 28

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Sorry, it’s hard to take a closer photo. I think it’s a feather duster, because the end of it will shoot back into that tube anytime I get close to it.
Yep, more than likely a feather duster then. I have a cluster of then on a torch that I own. Never tried to kill them or get rid of them but they have survived more than on dip, medications and etc. I have read where they can irritate the coral in some cases, but I don't have a problem. Just keep and eye on yours.

As for the other thing, some type of sponge. It appears close to the flesh so might be a problem. But I would start with light, flow, and parameters.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back