PESTs!

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if this goes well it can become a sticky? And will become a good place to get info?

OK guys in lite of trying to come up with some info for myself and others who maybe reading here on CZ, I know we all been talking about

AEFW= Acro Eating Flat Worm (self explaintory and alink to good info is HERE )

Red Bugs= Bugs that eat "pigments" was it I cna't remember what it actually does beside discolor a colorful ACRO, mostly on shorter polyp acro if I remember correctly, and if the info is not right please correct me thath is what this thread is all about!

MONTI eating nudies, never seen this first hand but I am guessing there is a loss in the the coloration of the corals and it looks like it is reciding?

Zoas Eating Snails=

Zoa Eating Nudies=

Astreinis stars= little white goofy legged stars that can eat soft corals?

What else we got these day?

Last edited:

organism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I just wanted to say that this is the least informative "might be a sticky" thread that I've ever seen :D

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a good idea. and maybe put the link that whodah has about the furan dip in it

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly guys I didn't fig just my 2 cent would be a sticky LOL, I was hoping after some info was acquired it may have the potential..... to be sticky and I didn't expect and would assume that one person would go and do all the research, I was hoping for every person that know of or has had issues with certian critters to post your findins w or wo pics or what ever?

SO with out further adue (sp) LOL what do you guys KNOW!!.......

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I just wanted to say that this is the least informative "might be a sticky" thread that I've ever seen :D

OH BTW maybe if you stated somethin to do with pest if you have any info to help that would have gave us a bit more information to help the thread! WE would be one step closer instead of further to helping others with there pest in there tank and do a little controbution to the hobby.

Then it maybe "sticky worthy"!

K ;)

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool do you have any first hand experiance with those nasty boys?
What did you do to get rid of them?

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one on some rock i had here in Maine that i threw out in the ocean. when i put the rock in my frag tank i found it. but never seen any more.

apex003

Aquaculturist in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this little ******* eating every frag I tried to put in my new NC6. I'm not sure what it's called, but it loved to eat eagle eyes!

DSC01451b.jpg

apex003

Aquaculturist in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put a zoa frag in a shallow glass bowl to try and see if I could find out what was eating them. Came home and this guy was sitting in the bowl with the zoas in his mouth. It was (unintentionally) a great way to trap the crab because he somehow found his way into the bowl, but couldn't climb out. Once he was gone, no more missing zoas...

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Crap I had a few issues this week of course all happen at once!!

I want to share with you all cause this is the best places and I hope you copy and paste this to everyone you know!! Or link them to this I think it is great piece of info for all!!!

Oh buy the way I found some nudies eating my xoas but, I haven't added anything in many months so it was really irritating! So i asked this guy I would call the GURU! IMO!!
SO her is his PM!

"quote on quote"

"Juvi nudis won't do the damage that adult nudis can.will do. Some how, somw way you imported a rock with eggs or juvi nudis somehow. Once they reach maturity to do substantial damge is when you most likely began to notice it.

Using your actinic lights after the tank has been dark for several hours is when you can catch most of them and see the eggs sacks which are highlighted by the actinics. They will most likely and most often be found on the sides of the stem from top to bottom, However you can find them on the rock, in crevises, on the glass, on a hose, anywhere. This is why the first course of action is dipping, followed by another dip every other day for a solid week and daily inspection. Being careful not to dip large disc palys such as sun polyps, grandis etc as they can not tolerate a fresh water dip and will begin to die almost instantly. Use the actinic lights to scan everything in your tank the moment you turn them on. Doing so at this time will allow you to see everything on your reef as everything will most likely be retracted from the dark period.

Using Flat worm exit is a must. All nudis will not be eradicated as there are a few types that won't be affected by the FWE. If you're lucky, you will have the type that will succumb to the FWE. You want to use double the recommended amount on the bottle.

The nudi sacks can be anywhere, check the glass everyday for a 1/16" curly white string, this is the sack, but again, they can be found anywhere in the tank. Most likely you won't find them on Palys unless they are just traveling across that colony to get to a nother zoas colony. Nudis do not like the taste of palys so you won't usually find your palys being consumed.

Also, be sure to check every single crack if you pull a rock out, all it takes is for one egg sack to go untouched and the whole outbreak will reoccur. Using a dedicated tooth brush, you want to bush into any crack you can reach to remove any sacks. It took be hours to do this every other day until I defeated them.
end of part 1, part 2 coming next" end quote!!

part 2...............

OP
OP
BigBadZoaDaddy

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you belive that!!

Here is more....................

"part 2

I make it a habit of even doing a fresh water dip on new live rock. Many disagree saying the the micro flora and fauna will be killed on the rock. What many fail to realize is that there is so much flora and fauna in the tank already, that the flora and fauna that is killed on the new rock can and will be regenerated in time once it is placed in your tank.

Also, Make it a habit of getting up in the middle of the night, at least 3 or 4 hours after the tank has been completely dark, quickly flick on the lights, check the glass and every zoa colony, this is when the nudis are most visiable. Adult nudis will also extract the zoozathealla from the colony they are attacking and take on the color of the colony they are eating. It might be hard to spot them, but once the light comes on, they will begin to slowly run for cover.

You must be persistant or you will never get rid of them. Even when you think you have, all it takes is missing just one nudi or one sack.

BTW, using a turkey baster to suck them up quickly off the colony works wonders. I hope I haven't missed anything.

Hang tough bro.

Mucho"""

This man was a great guy in person when I use to see him weekly and out of the blue I ask for help!!!!
AND with out a few hours going buy he responded with such fluient info I was VERY impresed!!!

KUDOS MUCHO!!!

naturebat

Toad Licker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MONTI eating nudies, never seen this first hand but I am guessing there is a loss in the the coloration of the corals and it looks like it is reciding?
I had some come in a colony, oddly enough, they have a taste for purple caps. Betadine, at 3ml/litre worked well to get rid of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back