Pests!

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never really had an issue with pests in my Reef Aquariums over the years but eventually, it was bound to happen. I have Aiptasia now spreading throughout the tank, and a huge outbreak of Asterina Starfish, I'm sure they all slipped in somehow with frags E.T.C. Needless to say, I have tried all the usual to get rid of both pests, manual removal of the star fish taking out a couple hundred at time and they come back 10 fold. Aiptasia I have tried Aiptasia X, Joes Juice, Lemon Juice nothing seems to work they keep coming back. So now I am thinking of buying some animals to combat the issues, Harlequin Shrimp for the Star fish issue, and either a Copper Band or some Peppermint Shrimp for the Aiptasia issue. Before I jump in head first I would appreciate any feedback pros cons E.T.C to the above issue. Thank you!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with a aptasia problem. Mostly behind my rock , I use a Majano wand for the ones that pop up in the front. But that’s a job and I can’t get them all. I tried a file fish without any luck.
I’m also thinking of a copper band and peppermint shrimp if I can get some from the gulf. Not all will eat aptasia

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dealing with a aptasia problem. Mostly behind my rock , I use a Majano wand for the ones that pop up in the front. But that’s a job and I can’t get them all. I tried a file fish without any luck.
I’m also thinking of a copper band and peppermint shrimp if I can get some from the gulf. Not all will eat aptasia
How does that wand work? I want one

OP
OP
bpbonds

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 2 Wrasse's I heard they will eat the peppermint shrimp if they are small, would have to order the XL size.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my experience w Asterina, after trying to remove them manually I left them alone and eventually they died off. Now I see one or two occasionally in the tank. For Aiptasia, Absolutely Fish sells nudibranch

Back