Petco VS LFS

TheMillennialReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m the only one here but does anyone else prefer getting fish from petco rather than their LFS.

Here’s the thing, my local petco keeps their salinity at 1.026. My local LFS keeps their salinity at 1.014.

For me, I QT all my fish. So if it has Ick from petco I can eradicate it. For me it’s easier to kill ick rather than raise the salinity over the course of 1-2 weeks. I tend to go too quick and losing the fish.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.014? I can see why you prefer Petco! I mean, sure, if it's a fish system, 1.018 is pretty common, but 1.014 is pretty dang silly!

Like we talked about in the other Petco thread, some Petcos are actually pretty good (a pretty small number out of all Petcos). If you're able to get healthy fish and especially if you're QTing/treating your fish, then by all means enjoy your new LFS :)

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m the only one here but does anyone else prefer getting fish from petco rather than their LFS.

Here’s the thing, my local petco keeps their salinity at 1.026. My local LFS keeps their salinity at 1.014.

For me, I QT all my fish. So if it has Ick from petco I can eradicate it. For me it’s easier to kill ick rather than raise the salinity over the course of 1-2 weeks. I tend to go too quick and losing the fish.

It really depends - Petco managers have a lot of freedom for how they actually run the tanks - so some Petcos have fantastic saltwater sections, and some are terrible. So, if you've had better luck with fish from PetCo than the lfs, go to petco. And tell your LFS why.

(The big difference between the two is that fish is a small part of PetCo's business - an LFS with bad fish closes. A PetCo with bad fish sells plenty of dog food)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned, some Petcos have great saltwater sections, there is one in MN that is known in the area for its salt selection. I would say most are average and then you have the bad ones. Just like any other LFS you must QT, I see difference between purchasing from petco or lfs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back