Peter's 240g reef build log

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
This is my thread to document my effort in my journey with reefing. This thread is also to get feedback about the build, suggestions etc. - if anyone will read it :)

A little bit about myself and my approach to this hobby. It will be a lot of reading so I won't be offended if you just jump to pictures :) Also, English is not my native so please forgive my grammar.

My journey with aquariums started around 25 years ago when I got 1 fish with 32oz jar... Weeks later I ended up with 40g tank with cichlids and I was running this tank for few years among with 20g piranha tank and 40g turtle aquarium. I went to a highschool and I quit the hobby. And for all those years I regret my decision but didn't really have time, space and money. Few years ago I moved to US and I started my American Dream (most of you don't even realize how change it can be for a guy like me). I bought a house, got married and my son born last February. I got to a point in my live that I am in the middle 30s and need to find more static, home oriented hobby. And at one point, when I was buying food for my cat I lost my way at Petsmart and saw fish section. And boom, that was the trigger. Checking the prices to see if I can afford it, what I can do by my self, quick call with my wife and I am on the road again!
Last September was very fortune for me. My bedroom got a 75g tank with cichlids. I started to test water, doing everything by the book, nothing like I was doing 25 years ago. Ammonia? Nitrates? Nah, is water clean or not? Now I was doing everything right. And with a great success. I don't see water, fish are super happy and only issue I have is too many baby fish.
And then I realized that salt water aquarium is not that expensive as it used to be and it was my dream for all those years. I made some research and I was surprised you can just buy a box and if you are super lazy you don't have to even touch it. Some people will do it for you (God bless capitalism). But there is also another path, much cheaper DIY path. Another hobby I am is woodworking and I have most tools I need for reefing, home depot 8 minutes away.

So thanks giving brought me a 75g used reef ready tank with old stand and no canopy. So I built all of it, built my sump from 20g glass tank and, made plumbing and I have been running my first reef tank for around 3 months so far. With no huge success thought but it is because I have done too many shortcuts I think. Corals are alive but not thriving, fish are in hospital tank because I trust people too much and they have ich...
I bought a blue and yellow tangs for my 75g with a plan I will upgrade my setup eventually. As I learned so far, this hobby can be super expensive but it can also be relatively cheap if yo are DIY oriented and willing to sacrifice some things like super duper brands Neptune or Echotech.

Where is a border between reef tank and reef house? Most of the people here with big tanks have built a fish rooms with multiple tanks, making the whole thing as a big system. Too much for me for sure. So, can I go with 240g cheap and have everything in a single stand? Let's give it a try!

I was reading a lot. And I think it can be done with most of my 75g reef tank equipment so I plan to use my lights, return pump, wave makers, heater, ATO and refugium light. Skimmer, new plumbing, future reactors and dosing is on my list but I know this is a process so it will take me some time.

I try to build everything by my self, try to go cheap if I can. I am even refreshing my kitchen by myself. I have limited budget for reefing so it has to be cheap or nothing. Can it be cheap? I think yes, but it has to be simple.

I picked glass cages and only because @Joe Glass Cages is here on this forum and his approach to the client together with being humble and open for feedback convinced me. I ordered 240g from him - 96x24x25. Good price with shipping and custom overflow. It is almost half of the price of other vendors, not mentioning waterbox or red sea systems where you pay for all those shining gadget. Buying the whole system? heck no, I have to do it by my self! That is the ultimate joy for me.
The tank is not here yet and it will take few more weeks so I have time to arrange some things like location, stand, sump, rocks and try to find additional lights I need.

About my setup:
- peninsula type, a room divider kind of. 3 sides on display. 2 sides of the stand with doors
- not exposed to direct sun light
- located on a ground level. Slab, stone tiles and laminated panels on them (didn't like tiles when I bought the house)
- room temperature during winter is 71/67, summer 76/78
- I travel once a year for few weeks so I have to figure out life support for those weeks
- automation will be done mostly using Samsung SmartThings - switches and timers, water sensor, nothing more. When budget allows will jump to Apex.
- mixing station 2x 32g brute cans in laundry room upstairs with garden house (food grade) for water change and fill ATO tank
- ~50g custom acrylic sump with refugium
- only 1 electrical circuit but with GFCI and 20amp breaker
- wooden stand from construction grade lumber and plywood, plywood canopy

For the nearest future my favorite reef store will be my local home depot. Stocking lumber and building a stand. 3 trips and I have all lumber for the stand. "Mustang is not family car" they say...
IMG_20200212_145718.jpg

My "garage" is not a garage anymore. I made my own workshop for woodworking projects.

IMG_20200213_173430.jpg
IMG_20200213_185624.jpg

IMG_20200213_195921.jpg
IMG_20200214_195225.jpg

I don' know how but current progress gave me so little scrap wood.
IMG_20200214_194936.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
This is my thread to document my effort in my journey with reefing. This thread is also to get feedback about the build, suggestions etc. - if anyone will read it :)

A little bit about myself and my approach to this hobby. It will be a lot of reading so I won't be offended if you just jump to pictures :) Also, English is not my native so please forgive my grammar.

My journey with aquariums started around 25 years ago when I got 1 fish with 32oz jar... Weeks later I ended up with 40g tank with cichlids and I was running this tank for few years among with 20g piranha tank and 40g turtle aquarium. I went to a highschool and I quit the hobby. And for all those years I regret my decision but didn't really have time, space and money. Few years ago I moved to US and I started my American Dream (most of you don't even realize how change it can be for a guy like me). I bought a house, got married and my son born last February. I got to a point in my live that I am in the middle 30s and need to find more static, home oriented hobby. And at one point, when I was buying food for my cat I lost my way at Petsmart and saw fish section. And boom, that was the trigger. Checking the prices to see if I can afford it, what I can do by my self, quick call with my wife and I am on the road again!
Last September was very fortune for me. My bedroom got a 75g tank with cichlids. I started to test water, doing everything by the book, nothing like I was doing 25 years ago. Ammonia? Nitrates? Nah, is water clean or not? Now I was doing everything right. And with a great success. I don't see water, fish are super happy and only issue I have is too many baby fish.
And then I realized that salt water aquarium is not that expensive as it used to be and it was my dream for all those years. I made some research and I was surprised you can just buy a box and if you are super lazy you don't have to even touch it. Some people will do it for you (God bless capitalism). But there is also another path, much cheaper DIY path. Another hobby I am is woodworking and I have most tools I need for reefing, home depot 8 minutes away.

So thanks giving brought me a 75g used reef ready tank with old stand and no canopy. So I built all of it, built my sump from 20g glass tank and, made plumbing and I have been running my first reef tank for around 3 months so far. With no huge success thought but it is because I have done too many shortcuts I think. Corals are alive but not thriving, fish are in hospital tank because I trust people too much and they have ich...
I bought a blue and yellow tangs for my 75g with a plan I will upgrade my setup eventually. As I learned so far, this hobby can be super expensive but it can also be relatively cheap if yo are DIY oriented and willing to sacrifice some things like super duper brands Neptune or Echotech.

Where is a border between reef tank and reef house? Most of the people here with big tanks have built a fish rooms with multiple tanks, making the whole thing as a big system. Too much for me for sure. So, can I go with 240g cheap and have everything in a single stand? Let's give it a try!

I was reading a lot. And I think it can be done with most of my 75g reef tank equipment so I plan to use my lights, return pump, wave makers, heater, ATO and refugium light. Skimmer, new plumbing, future reactors and dosing is on my list but I know this is a process so it will take me some time.

I try to build everything by my self, try to go cheap if I can. I am even refreshing my kitchen by myself. I have limited budget for reefing so it has to be cheap or nothing. Can it be cheap? I think yes, but it has to be simple.

I picked glass cages and only because @Joe Glass Cages is here on this forum and his approach to the client together with being humble and open for feedback convinced me. I ordered 240g from him - 96x24x25. Good price with shipping and custom overflow. It is almost half of the price of other vendors, not mentioning waterbox or red sea systems where you pay for all those shining gadget. Buying the whole system? heck no, I have to do it by my self! That is the ultimate joy for me.
The tank is not here yet and it will take few more weeks so I have time to arrange some things like location, stand, sump, rocks and try to find additional lights I need.

About my setup:
- peninsula type, a room divider kind of. 3 sides on display. 2 sides of the stand with doors
- not exposed to direct sun light
- located on a ground level. Slab, stone tiles and laminated panels on them (didn't like tiles when I bought the house)
- room temperature during winter is 71/67, summer 76/78
- I travel once a year for few weeks so I have to figure out life support for those weeks
- automation will be done mostly using Samsung SmartThings - switches and timers, water sensor, nothing more. When budget allows will jump to Apex.
- mixing station 2x 32g brute cans in laundry room upstairs with garden house (food grade) for water change and fill ATO tank
- ~50g custom acrylic sump with refugium
- only 1 electrical circuit but with GFCI and 20amp breaker
- wooden stand from construction grade lumber and plywood, plywood canopy

For the nearest future my favorite reef store will be my local home depot. Stocking lumber and building a stand. 3 trips and I have all lumber for the stand. "Mustang is not family car" they say...
IMG_20200212_145718.jpg

My "garage" is not a garage anymore. I made my own workshop for woodworking projects.

IMG_20200213_173430.jpg
IMG_20200213_185624.jpg

IMG_20200213_195921.jpg
IMG_20200214_195225.jpg

I don' know how but current progress gave me so little scrap wood.
IMG_20200214_194936.jpg
@lost66, Thanks so much for selecting Glass Cages. We are honored to have this opportunity to serve you and your family. Its almost done. We are looking forward to following your build. Welcome back!!!!!!

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. @Joe Glass Cages is one of the best people I know. He truely cares for the products he puts out, as well as the customers he serves. I will be following along this build. Love your wood shop.
@captrichc, Thanks so much. True.... I am so passionate and enjoy others that are are passionate as well. Thats just infectious. Sincerely just want to help. Life is way to short to be bothered with nonsense.

I need to see some updates on your build!

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the stand for a while before next stage to double check everything and to think about potential scenarios such as general access, emergency access and plumbing. And it's good I didn't rash because I forgot about overflow and I needed to move one piece - Overflow is in the bottom of the tank so stand has to have a clearance on the side for pipes. At this point it was a super easy adjustment.

Next step was easy, I have everything in my head so no decision points. I don't like to stain/paint wood, I think it is a blasphemy. Why paying for a nice wood and hide it from the display. I decided to use plywood and since I want to go cheap I didn't use 1/2" but I picked 3 sheets of 1/4" plywood from my local home depot. Unfortunately I made a wrong call to cut front panel to a half because I thought my second truck toyota prius won't fit 35" width plywood and I was wrong. Well, I will just put a wooden stripe to cover that cut.

IMG_20200225_191709.jpg

IMG_20200225_192754.jpg
IMG_20200226_172025.jpg
IMG_20200226_172407.jpg
IMG_20200227_174543.jpg

I had some oak left from my kitchen project and I decided to not go cheap with door frames. I have very bad experience with construction grade 2x4 which I use to everywhere and I know it warps and twists in time and I don't want to have doors twisted. I carefully cut the door holes with router keeping in mind I will use cut offs for the door.
IMG_20200227_181112.jpg
IMG_20200227_182549.jpg
IMG_20200227_183039.jpg
IMG_20200227_184456.jpg
IMG_20200228_163321.jpg
IMG_20200228_165251.jpg

IMG_20200229_103457.jpg

The stand is 35" height and 25" width so I have enough plywood to make a floor in the stand.
IMG_20200228_182957.jpg
IMG_20200228_184232.jpg
IMG_20200228_185745.jpg
IMG_20200228_193106.jpg

I am very sluppy in terms of finishing, I can see brush on the surface. This stand is pretty big and I wanted to paint it outside and inside. So I decided this is enough justification to buy a spray gun. It took me a week to investigate what I can get. My pancake compressor is not good for such job so I purchased wagner HVLP gun. I have no idea if this is a good stuff or not, I don't have anything to compare with. But comparing to brush? Yes, it is an upgrade. Some youtube video tutorials how to use such tool and I knew it won't be perfect considering the weather and in general humidity in NC. But I cannot afford to be perfect :)
I decided to go with lacquer. It is hard to mess up. Watco is a brush only lacquer but I believe its because of stupid law in California but I used it in 70/30 solution with lacquer thinner. I have no idea if I could to it better, this project is the first time I am using such tool. But it already exceeded my expectations. Especially if you take in consideration that this tool is only $67 on amazon.

IMG_20200229_110955.jpg

IMG_20200302_111541.jpg

It is hard to see in pictures but surface is awesome after using spray gun. It dries fast, no sanding between coats (lacquer melts to previous layer). And it doesn't smell that much. I needed to brush something else using the same lacquer a day later and it was stinking for few days. Good stuff.

IMG_20200302_161156.jpg

My tank will be located between rooms. I decided to leave that wall, stand has the same height as this wall. There are 2 wall outlets there. The one on the wall I replaced with Legrand audible GFCI outlet. Buzzer is a nice feature in this outlet. I let the other outlet (under the window) without GFCI for critical life support system. Unfortunately I have only 15 amp breaker and I don't want to put there 20amp, the cable is not rated 20amp (it is white, not yellow) so I am thinking to put another line from living room because that outlet is on another circuit. Drilling a hole in the wall won't be a problem even with tank installed. Time will show if I need to. Right now I have no idea what will be the power consumption, I have only estimation.

IMG_20200304_065505.jpg

IMG_20200316_115547.jpg

Stand is almost done. Some trim job, details to add. But for this part I need to wait for the tank. It is leveled and I didn't even need to put anything under it, no shims needed. Nice. Doors are completed and waiting for sump and plumbing to be installed. It will be a challenge for me to plumb it right especially when I don't really know how the configuration will look like. I have an initial thing in my head but there are some pieces that I cannot visualize. But I will document plumbing for sure because I know it is important thing.

When tank comes I will sand top to remove all glue residue, put 3/4" plywood and a styrofoam. This is a manufacture's recommendation and I will stick to them.

My tank had been built but Joe called me with an information that during the final inspection they noticed a defect which doesn't meet their quality standards and he offered me an upgrade to low iron glass for inconvenience but I have to wait for new tank. I expected my tank to have it already but I know things just happen and it is good they inspect tanks before shipment. I am impressed with such a good customer service. Huge kudos for @Joe Glass Cages !

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, what a journey with my build. My tank was delivered month ago to a freight terminal. Because of the weight and dimensions it was not delivered to my place directly. So I took a day off, rent big Uhaul truck, arrange some help and I was finally able to put my dream tank on the stand. I then I noticed tank is chipped/cracked at the corner.
IMG_20200421_175029.jpg

The crack was small and I was not able to tell if this is something structural or not so I was afraid what to do. Initially I was not even able to feel it, I had impression like something is inside the glass. But when I touched black plastic rim the larger crack showed up. Joe called me next morning and he said he doesn't like this crack and he will make another tank for me and this time it will be delivered directly to my place. By him. It is like 6 hours of driving for him. WOW, I was super impressed for such a customer service.
Huge kudos for Glasscages and @Joe Glass Cages.

In the meantime I was able to finish the stand with canopy. Stand was easy part, router table helps with details. But canopy was more expensive and difficult to build. Plywood bends little bit when there is no support here and there specially it is 8feet long. If I predicted that I would pick a different approach for canopy but well, lesson learned I guess. But like how everything ended up.
IMG_20200521_210025.jpg

Tank came with 4 glass tops (I didn't even know I am getting them) so I think I will use them to eliminate evaporation from the tank and because of that I will have dry canopy so my hydras 26 which are not water proofed will enjoy this feature. I made 4 holes for light in the top of canopy. I have no idea how I will wire them but this is next part of the build.
IMG_20200521_210053.jpg

I got some rocks from someone who had a big tank. They were still wet when I got them and tank was very mature like 10 years or so but I knew I have plenty of time ahead so I cured them in bleach for a month and second month in fresh water with prime. I dried them and started to do glue them. It is not easy, tank is huge and tall. 24" height so rocks should be for around up to 20. This part is not technical and requires an art portion which I have missing so I am afraid I will not like aquascaping very much and I will modify it a lot.

IMG_20200521_225155.jpg
IMG_20200521_225229.jpg

I used 3d printer to make a custom cabinet knobs. I love them, I really hope they will survive my son's attempts to break them.
IMG_20200521_075045.jpg
IMG_20200521_205830.jpg

Today was a big day for the build. I filled the tank with water and it is not leaking so all ready for next step which is wiring. I got Apex Classic and learning how to use it. I have missing temp probe though :/ Some cables are too long like Jebao UV and some are too short for 8feet build like hydra 26 lights and Jebao wave makers.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, what a journey with my build. My tank was delivered month ago to a freight terminal. Because of the weight and dimensions it was not delivered to my place directly. So I took a day off, rent big Uhaul truck, arrange some help and I was finally able to put my dream tank on the stand. I then I noticed tank is chipped/cracked at the corner.
IMG_20200421_175029.jpg

The crack was small and I was not able to tell if this is something structural or not so I was afraid what to do. Initially I was not even able to feel it, I had impression like something is inside the glass. But when I touched black plastic rim the larger crack showed up. Joe called me next morning and he said he doesn't like this crack and he will make another tank for me and this time it will be delivered directly to my place. By him. It is like 6 hours of driving for him. WOW, I was super impressed for such a customer service.
Huge kudos for Glasscages and @Joe Glass Cages.

In the meantime I was able to finish the stand with canopy. Stand was easy part, router table helps with details. But canopy was more expensive and difficult to build. Plywood bends little bit when there is no support here and there specially it is 8feet long. If I predicted that I would pick a different approach for canopy but well, lesson learned I guess. But like how everything ended up.
IMG_20200521_210025.jpg

Tank came with 4 glass tops (I didn't even know I am getting them) so I think I will use them to eliminate evaporation from the tank and because of that I will have dry canopy so my hydras 26 which are not water proofed will enjoy this feature. I made 4 holes for light in the top of canopy. I have no idea how I will wire them but this is next part of the build.
IMG_20200521_210053.jpg

I got some rocks from someone who had a big tank. They were still wet when I got them and tank was very mature like 10 years or so but I knew I have plenty of time ahead so I cured them in bleach for a month and second month in fresh water with prime. I dried them and started to do glue them. It is not easy, tank is huge and tall. 24" height so rocks should be for around up to 20. This part is not technical and requires an art portion which I have missing so I am afraid I will not like aquascaping very much and I will modify it a lot.

IMG_20200521_225155.jpg
IMG_20200521_225229.jpg

I used 3d printer to make a custom cabinet knobs. I love them, I really hope they will survive my son's attempts to break them.
IMG_20200521_075045.jpg
IMG_20200521_205830.jpg

Today was a big day for the build. I filled the tank with water and it is not leaking so all ready for next step which is wiring. I got Apex Classic and learning how to use it. I have missing temp probe though :/ Some cables are too long like Jebao UV and some are too short for 8feet build like hydra 26 lights and Jebao wave makers.
@lost66, looking GREAT. I love what you have done with your build. Great to meet you and your family as well. Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of your build. I am always available if you need support.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was filling new tank with water for 4 days, I put 3 heaters to faster set the temperature. I was little bit worried about salinity because old tank was running on 1.026 and new one is 1.025. And I used all salt I had.
It took me almost half a day to move old tank to new habitat. Extremely messy process, I don't want to repeat it ever again.
I moved rocks with corals on them. I tried to be quick because time is an enemy in such a process and I put rocks where I had space for them keeping in mind I will rearrange everything later. I added carbon and 12 hours later my new tank looks perfect for me. I spent hours today staring at it.

I need more corals, more fish :) This part will definitely be the most difficult and time consuming. Corals are expensive and are outside DIY :)

U

User1

View Badges
Hello everyone

Hello!

"Mustang is not family car" they say...
IMG_20200212_145718.jpg

Lol - that is funny. I owned a 2015 GT/PP shadow black. Love the car. Tracked the you know what out of it. Several long road trips from Northern California to Vegas, over to LA, and back. Had one set up to run from Northern California to Key West, Florida but ended up selling the car. The Recaro's I had in there are too much for my hip at the time and the car was sitting idle too long. Swapped it out to an Explorer. Now that my hip is fixed I miss that darn thing. Was looking at the GT500's but the ADM is too much. So back to a possible GT350 unless my better half wins and gets the pool :)

Great job so far.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great,better yet the detailed journey,nice work,nice tank,looking forward to more!! happy reefing

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Lol - that is funny. I owned a 2015 GT/PP shadow black. Love the car. Tracked the you know what out of it. Several long road trips from Northern California to Vegas, over to LA, and back. Had one set up to run from Northern California to Key West, Florida but ended up selling the car. The Recaro's I had in there are too much for my hip at the time and the car was sitting idle too long. Swapped it out to an Explorer. Now that my hip is fixed I miss that darn thing. Was looking at the GT500's but the ADM is too much. So back to a possible GT350 unless my better half wins and gets the pool :)

Great job so far.
I was thinking about GT but it was out of my budget. Horse power difference is not that big, sound is different. Prior 2015 there was a significant difference but starting 2015 model it is almost the same car beside the sound. I travel a lot in this car. Almost whole east coast 3 times. 40k miles in 3 years. And I cannot imagine driving 12hr in GT. I think it is just too low sound and too noisy. Covid-19 grounded me and I don't ride that often but when I have a chance, I jump from Prius to Mustang and it is soooooo good feeling. I absolutely love this car. I hope corals won't suck all my money and I will be able to get new mustang when this one retires.
I am from the place where no one cares about speed limits and I used to drive really fast. There are some race tracks in NC and I wanted to try myself but unfortunately they won't let me with convertible car :( Speeding in US is not a good idea and beside just having fun I don't see the point to do it. In NC people are not in a hurry, there is no road rage that often and basically it is a pleasant ride within speed limits.

U

User1

View Badges
I was thinking about GT but it was out of my budget. Horse power difference is not that big, sound is different. Prior 2015 there was a significant difference but starting 2015 model it is almost the same car beside the sound. I travel a lot in this car. Almost whole east coast 3 times. 40k miles in 3 years. And I cannot imagine driving 12hr in GT. I think it is just too low sound and too noisy. Covid-19 grounded me and I don't ride that often but when I have a chance, I jump from Prius to Mustang and it is soooooo good feeling. I absolutely love this car. I hope corals won't suck all my money and I will be able to get new mustang when this one retires.
I am from the place where no one cares about speed limits and I used to drive really fast. There are some race tracks in NC and I wanted to try myself but unfortunately they won't let me with convertible car :( Speeding in US is not a good idea and beside just having fun I don't see the point to do it. In NC people are not in a hurry, there is no road rage that often and basically it is a pleasant ride within speed limits.

Agreed. That is why I would take my car to closed track events. Just to get it out of my system and be somewhat safe.

Believe it or not it is a comfortable car to drive long distances even with my slight suspension modifications. Well, i guess that is going to be different for everyone, right? In any case it was blast when we did it especially at night driving through some parts of the Mojave Desert (your car would obviously be better with the top down).

I still appreciate you using the car, and tools, that you had to move lumber around :D

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hehe ,i did notice one thing ,thousands of$$$ in tools, but a harbor freight tape measure ;) ..lol ..cool:)

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hehe ,i did notice one thing ,thousands of$$$ in tools, but a harbor freight tape measure ;) ..lol ..cool:)
Free items :) Each time I was there I grabbed one. And they are very good. I also use measure tapes from dollar tree, they are metric. My brain refuses imperial units.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking in @lost66. any updates?

I am at the point of taken things out instead of putting more into. Such a big tank is a challenge and in some cases I failed. A local reefer was shutting down his tank and I got some fish from him and accidentally added bird wrasse which is eating my CUC and tank doesn't look like I want to. It took us few minutes to catch this fish from 300g tank which contained only few small rocks. I have no idea how I can get him out from my tank. I am thinking about DIY fish trap but this wrasse is super fast and I don't even know if it is possible to catch him. This is a big issue for me.

Another mistake is I think rookie mistake - soft corals. When I started this hobby a put the cheapest corals I was able to find and now I have few rocks which are completely covered with them and my anemone is stuck on one of them. Other corals are are also being slowly shaded by them and I don't know if they make it and I don't know how to move them to new locations. I think I will need to remove manually most of soft corals at some point. They started to colonize other rocks so it will be a problem at some point. Or maybe there is a fish which eats soft corals? I don't know that yet.
IMG_20200727_084050.jpg
IMG_20200727_083929.jpg

I need to use a ladder to do almost anything in the tank. My canopy has only 1 side access and with finished aquascape I don't have easy access to other side of the tank. Sometimes mexican turbo snail (I think it's only 1 type of snails my bird wrasse doesn't like to eat) moves over smaller corals and I find these corals on the sand bed. Luckily all of them are on the easy access side :) I don't feel comfortable to use this ladder anymore since I reached out the weight limit for this ladder :) I can see a disaster in my head because of this ladder.

I flooded my floor few times already :/ I don't have much space in the sump and I hanged filter sock too high and when it got dirty water flown over it and the whole floor was full with salt water. The other time, I found few gallons of ATO water on the floor because I didn't secure hose.

I added linkia starfish to the tank hoping my tank is mature enough to handle such a delicate creature. Immediately after I added it to the tank my skimmer went crazy and another flood happened. 2 days after I added starfish it died and after 2 weeks I still cannot use my skimmer because it goes crazy all the time. Even on lowest settings. I can't tune it correctly. Something was in the water with this starfish I guess. I am religious about water changes and I hope water will stabilize soon enough.

I started to dose both alk and calcium. I think corals started to grow and they consume at last. I was prepared for that so all good here. I think I will invest in calcium reactor next year when consumption will be significant.

Beside cyano outbreak I inherited from my old tank I skipped an ugly phase of new tank and now only sand looks "dirty" because of dino. I clean the sand twice a week but with this kind of aquascape I did it is impossible to reach everywhere. And because of brought a holocaust to my CUC sand needs little love once a while.

I wonder if there is a better and faster glass cleaner than my tunze cleaner. It is nice but the handle is too small and cleaning around 36 square feet of glass 3-4 times a week is a hassle. Flipper looks nice for my big hand but the price for a stupid piece of plastic with magnet and blade is insane.

I don't know if my aquascape is good for sps corals. I still have some rocks left and I was thinking to add some to make more arches but I don't know if that may be just too much rocks and it may look too artificial. I think my coral placement was also not good but I have no idea what I can change to make it look better. This is what I have today:

I am surprised my water parameters are nice and stable without doing much. A set doser based on a calculator and it looks its working fine enough to have 0 difference in alk between water changes.

So adjustments here and there and I am getting there slowely. Learning on my mistakes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back