OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did finish my light purchases. I found 2 open box redsea 160 lights. From left to right I will have:
LED 50-LED 160s-LED90-LED 160s-LED50 with 2 60 inch Blue XHO LED light strips on the back and front.
Now I have to measure everything (hard to do without the tank in place) so I can order the 80/20 to build the light rack/mount. I am going to build at the least the wall mount portion like infinite reef did here:

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Redsea Reefer 425 XL mixed reef. It is time to upgrade. I need more room for SPS and I want a few more tangs then I can fit in a 90 gallon tank (blue tang, powder brown, orange shoulder, and sailfin in addition to my current yellow and tomini). I was determined to get a Waterbox ReefLX 340.7 but at $8,500 vs the Innovative Marine EXT 200 at $3,600 with sump I could not pass it up. Plus I realized I could not fit a 7 foot tank in my space and still open the side doors so 6 feet is the max. I do have to do my own plumbing but after plumbing my garage tanks that should not be that difficult. Problem is my 425 XL is where the 200 EXT will go so that will be fun.

I picked up two 44 gallon brutes with wheels at Home Depot and will order 100# of Marco rocks. I will cycle them in the brute cans while I wait for the tank to come (to get the 40% discount from Innovative Marine you have to be willing to wait months). I like Parker's Reef on YouTube and he used Aquaforest Biofil to seed his tanks. I will give it a try with Dr Tims of course.

My plan is to set the tank up in the garage and do all the plumbing out there. That way all the plumbing will be ready to go when I move the redsea 425 and get the 200 EXT in its place.

For now I will sit and wait for the rocks and then the tank to come.

1674535775559.png
I was about to get one of these as well since they are the best price for these modern lookin brand name tanks! But found out about acrylic & just got a 8ft by30in wide & 18 tall lagoon tank( pretty much exactly what I wanted) couples days ago time to clean & set up & I juss started reefing /fish keeping January, have a IM 15 & 30L rn

CapeCoralDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 150EXT. Hate waiting!! It's been 3 months. They are saying 6 months!
Trying to be patient and not ordering new equipment too soon. I want to sell my old tank complete, so buying all new equipment.
Good luck!

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 150EXT. Hate waiting!! It's been 3 months. They are saying 6 months!
Trying to be patient and not ordering new equipment too soon. I want to sell my old tank complete, so buying all new equipment.
Good luck!
Waiting sucks but lots of time to plan. I am using as much equipment that I can from the 425. I suspect my protein skimmer will end up being too small. Time will tell. I think the UV is undersized which I do not like. That may be one of my 1st upgrades. That and one of my 3 year old LED50s is flickering so that may go soon.

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I heard from them yesterday as well. I’m sure they wait until they can fill up an entire shipping container. Not much longer now!
Hey, curious: did you order the RFS50 sump too? Or just the tank?

I was just told there's an 8-week delay on my part, and I'm pretty certain it's because they forgot my sump.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, curious: did you order the RFS50 sump too? Or just the tank?

I was just told there's an 8-week delay on my part, and I'm pretty certain it's because they forgot my sump.
Yes, I did order the sump. I have still not heard from them yet. My Redsea 425XL bottom left seam leaked yesterday. What a nightmare that was. Now I need the innovative marine tank asap. I'll post more about it later.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did order the sump. I have still not heard from them yet. My Redsea 425XL bottom left seam leaked yesterday. What a nightmare that was. Now I need the innovative marine tank asap. I'll post more about it later.
Sorry to hear that!! Hopefully the new beast shows up soon! It’s crazy how many of these have failed…. Ugh… @brandon429 lol

Ioncewaslegend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm going new because my RSR250 seam came very close to completely failing (like 1 mm of silicone), so...*** Red Sea, and *** their customer support.

I'd reach out to them ASAP, honestly. I was told earlier today that my sump wasn't up to their QC standards, and they need to wait 6+ weeks for the next sump shipment.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy its shocking agreed, linking to the red sea thread

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm going new because my RSR250 seam came very close to completely failing (like 1 mm of silicone), so...*** Red Sea, and *** their customer support.

I'd reach out to them ASAP, honestly. I was told earlier today that my sump wasn't up to their QC standards, and they need to wait 6+ weeks for the next sump shipment.
I called innovative marine. They will call me back and see what they can do. I'll post a video of my garage tanks tomorrow. They are crammed!

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, my 3.5 year old Redsea reefer 425 XL leaked. It was the back right bottom seal. Level tank and I never went near the corners with algae cleaner. I tried flex seal and it slowed it down but did not stop the slow leak. Initially it was a small stream that shot out about a foot onto my wall next to the tank. I found it because I noticed the ATO was lower than it should have been. Otherwise it may have gone on longer. I had to transfer everything urgently to the garage tanks (good thing I had them). It took about 8 hours. What a nightmare that was. As far as I can tell I lost no fish and no corals which is a minor miracle. I am hoping my SPS do ok out there. Time will tell. I will post a video of the garage tomorrow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back