OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shipment from Dr Reef came today. Mixed results. The magnificent foxface is absolutely huge. I wish it was a little smaller and grew with the rest of the fish. It is super shy and hides so far. I have not seen the Scott's greenback fairy wrasse since I put it in. Hopefully I will see it one day. The desjardini is super tiny. You can see in the pictures below in comparison with the other fish. He is active and eating so time will tell how he does. The male anthia is really big and the females are tiny. I ordered 3 females and they sent 5. I can see why. Not sure how many will survive. You can see in the pics they are smaller than the firefish. I'll post a video this weekend. Hopefully they are all out more by then.
20230830_185755.jpg
20230830_185612.jpg
20230830_185607.jpg
20230830_185507.jpg

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you never quite know what you're gonna get with mail order it seems! Hopefully they all jive for ya! I wish I had gone with a magnificent over a one spot. I think it's a much prettier fish.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you did a fantastic job setting up the tank! I’m trying to talk the wife into getting one to replace my old 120 gallon marineland. I really like how you were able to incorporate your controller board, is that PVC. Oars or plywood?

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you never quite know what you're gonna get with mail order it seems! Hopefully they all jive for ya! I wish I had gone with a magnificent over a one spot. I think it's a much prettier fish.
she is a beauty. so far everyone is alive but I had to turn off the MP40s. The desjardini sailfin was stuck to one this morning. Thought he was dead. I turned it off and he just swam away. Crazy!

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you did a fantastic job setting up the tank! I’m trying to talk the wife into getting one to replace my old 120 gallon marineland. I really like how you were able to incorporate your controller board, is that PVC. Oars or plywood?
Thanks. The controller board is made out of pine.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank in place and plumbing in place. Just needs to be glued. Also building controller board.
20230711_131443.jpg

20230711_211301.jpg
20230711_211138.jpg
20230711_211118.jpg
so it looks like you plump your UV return into the lookers right return. how is the working out for you?
I thought about doing that too but was concerned it would give a very unbalanced return flow.

my other thought is just return it right back in front of the return pump not 100% ideal I know BUT MAYBE better then uneven flow in the DT?? IDK
UV can be such a PITA at times mine is huge the 40W pentair unit its like 40" or something....massive

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so it looks like you plump your UV return into the lookers right return. how is the working out for you?
I thought about doing that too but was concerned it would give a very unbalanced return flow.

my other thought is just return it right back in front of the return pump not 100% ideal I know BUT MAYBE better then uneven flow in the DT?? IDK
UV can be such a PITA at times mine is huge the 40W pentair unit its like 40" or something....massive
If you have a bunch of powerheads in a tank, you’re not gonna notice an imbalance in flow from the return pumps. So I don’t think it’s a problem worth worrying over.

But yeah, UV is the hardest part about the plumbing for sure! I had to mount mine on the back of the stand. Plenty of room since it’s an EXT. I just put a leak sensor directly below it.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 2 return pumps. The right return pump has a T above it with one side going to R sided return nozzle of tank and other side to UV that returns into the skimmer chamber. Better would have the UV then flow into the tank. Not ideal but I had limited space for the UV and this gives me the option of adding a larger UV in the future very easily. This also allows you to increase the R return pump flow and dial in the UV flow on its own. I don't think you need to worry about a difference of flow between the R and L return nozzles. Most of your flow comes from your wave makers anyways.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish update. The tiny little desjardini sailfin did not survive. It didn't look good from the beginning. Dr reef is working with me to find another. All 5 female anthias are doing well. The Scott's fairy wrasse finally came out. It turns out it is the Fiji one. The picture on the Dr Reef website shows the Tonga version which is what I wanted but this one is still pretty. I also added a couple favia.

20230902_180428.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 return pumps. The right return pump has a T above it with one side going to R sided return nozzle of tank and other side to UV that returns into the skimmer chamber. Better would have the UV then flow into the tank. Not ideal but I had limited space for the UV and this gives me the option of adding a larger UV in the future very easily. This also allows you to increase the R return pump flow and dial in the UV flow on its own. I don't think you need to worry about a difference of flow between the R and L return nozzles. Most of your flow comes from your wave makers anyways.
ah must of missed the 2 RT pumps. or forgot.
I decided I am gonna keep it simple and run the UV on its own pump and not mess with it. that way if i turn on feed mode the UV will not run dry but the light will be on.
some times Keep it simple stupid is the way to go. lol

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish update. The tiny little desjardini sailfin did not survive. It didn't look good from the beginning. Dr reef is working with me to find another. All 5 female anthias are doing well. The Scott's fairy wrasse finally came out. It turns out it is the Fiji one. The picture on the Dr Reef website shows the Tonga version which is what I wanted but this one is still pretty. I also added a couple favia.

20230902_180428.jpg

love the wrasses and the rics.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back