OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male anthia I got from drreef never looked great and died yesterday. The good thing is the 5 females they sent me are thriving so one of them should convert to male at some point. Still waiting for the replacement desjardini tang.

I still have never found my pistol shrimp. My watchman goby decided to bond to a fire shrimp instead of his old pistol buddy. So weird to see the goby and fire shrimp behaving like the goby and pistol used to.

20230914_151552.jpg

takoarm8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male anthia I got from drreef never looked great and died yesterday. The good thing is the 5 females they sent me are thriving so one of them should convert to male at some point. Still waiting for the replacement desjardini tang.

I still have never found my pistol shrimp. My watchman goby decided to bond to a fire shrimp instead of his old pistol buddy. So weird to see the goby and fire shrimp behaving like the goby and pistol used to.

20230914_151552.jpg
I picked up 7 female Anthias and 1 male all
Are eating awesome they really do add a lot of color to the tank. How’s the Scott’s fairy wrasse doing

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some fish from drreef and corals from an LFS.

Desjardini sailfin looks great. Did not go well with the yellow tang. It harassed the desjardini so I put it in an acclimation box hoping after a couple days the yellow would accept him. That didn't work. Tried a mirror and nori but it didn't help. After a couple hours of struggle I finally caught the desjardini and put him in the garage for now.

The 3 chalk bass are tiny. I kept them in the acclimation box for now so I can feed them until they are a little bigger.

Once I release the chalk bass I will then use the acclimation box/trap to try to catch the yellow tang. I'll then throw him in the garage for a couple weeks while the desjardini establishes in the house. I will then re-introduce the yellow into the house. Hope it works.

I got some SPS from an LFS (6 of them). Sold as rainbow tenius (no names) but hard to tell how they will look long term. They have not really colored up yet. Time will tell.

I have been struggling with low nutrients. I was running a refugium for a short time but had to turn the light off. That increased phos from 0.1 to 0.3. Nitrates have been zero persistently so I am dosing nitrates. I had the same issue with my redsea 425 so I am used to it.

20230927_173737.jpg
20230927_173731.jpg

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you find this glass to be super easy to scratch? I know it technically should be because of the low iron glass but man. I have a few already on one side panel. I use a tunze care magnet with the plastic blades. Idk how it happens. I try to gently push down into the gravel just slightly and make sure no gravel comes up with it so I don’t know how else it would happen. I guess they’re inevitable and maybe as I get older I just wont see them as easily.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. I had a large neptonion magnetic cleaner scratch the sides. I use the medium neptonion now for cleaning every 2 days and it does not scratch probably because the magnet is weaker. If I need to scrape harder algae I use the flipper max. It has not scratched the glass so far.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking this issue may be the only reason to possibly avoid IM unless all the good tanks are this way. Idk. I would love to know if there are other tanks that don’t scratch as easily.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking this issue may be the only reason to possibly avoid IM unless all the good tanks are this way. Idk. I would love to know if there are other tanks that don’t scratch as easily.
I remember my redsea 425 would scratch unless I was careful. The key is to avoid anything caught in your cleaner. I never had an issue with flipper cleaners.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the yellow tang and desjardini did not get along at all. I caught them both and put them in the 40 gallon in the garage and they were best friends. Put them back in the 200 gallon and it was WWIII again. The yellow tore the desjardini's sail to shreds. The yellow will now be in the garage for 6+ months. The blue tang is not harassing the desjardini. Poor guy can't catch a break.

Also interesting to see the yellow watchman pair up with a fire shrimp since the pistol shrimp disappeared. They share the same hole and are always together. Weird. Tank update below and full fish and equipment list below that.https://youtu.be/javMwlFt_ls?si=bkBE95L3Ju4RAAAf
20231107_184523.jpg

Fish
Gigi-magnificent foxface
Desjardini tang
Yellow tang (in garage for 1 year)
Desjardini tang
Orange shoulder tang
Blue tang
Tomini tang
Clown fish (2)
Chalk bass (4) one with lymphocystis
Bangaii cardinals (2)
Pajama cardinals (3) breeding often
Scott’s fairy wrasse
Splendid pintail fairy wrasse
McCosker’s flasher wrasse
Christmas wrasse-non aggressive type although peppermint shrimp is MIA
Yellow coris wrasse
Lyretail Anthias (5)
Firefish white (2)-purple died
Blue springer damsel (2)
Green chromis (4)
Black Blenny
Yellow watchman goby (pistol shrimp is MIA) bonded with fire shrimp
Skunk Cleaner shrimp (2)
Fire shrimp (1)
Cleaners (hermits, trochus snails, emerald crabs)

IM EXT 200 Equipment

Lights: Redsea LED 50 (2), 90 (1), 160s (2), Reef brite 72” Actinic Blue HXO strip (2)
Wavemakers: MP40 (2), Maxspect gyre XF350 (2)
Return Pumps: Echotech M2 (2)
Filter socks (clean once a week)
Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT skimmer
No refugium (can’t keep chaeto alive) with low nit/phos
Wavemaker in each sump chamber (likely helps keep nutrients low)
25 watt aqua UV sterilizer
Ink bird controllers x 4 with (4) 200 watt BRS heaters

Dosing
2 part dosing via dosers (with TM A/K trace elements)
TM Balling part C via doser
Nitrate 3 x/week
Iodide and potassium occasionally based on testing
Feed corals: BRS coral foot, aminos, reef roids once a week

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which wave makers are you using in your sump chambers?
I have an old reef wave 25 in the refugium chamber. I used that wave maker since I will be making that chamber a frag section. The other 2 chambers have cheap jebao SOW 3 in one and SOW 4 in the other. whichever I had extra.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank Looks great! My tank is fighting low nutrients I’m seeing your fish list and I need a bunch more fish in my tank
I'm a little worried what happens when all these fish get full grown. Gonna get a little crowded. I love all the fish right now though. I'm still fighting low nutrients but I do not feed very heavy. I dose nitrates 3x/week.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back