Pete's Aquariums??

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium Solutions has decent fish, coral prices are ridiculous. I got Tail Spot Blenny and Royal Gramma from there that are still doing great 2 years later. Pricey though even for fish, so I don't get my higher dollar fish from here.
I don't mind paying more for a healthier fish. I mean, I'm not paying 5X as much, but I would probably pay 50-75% more. I spoke with Emiliano today. He said he that he will get the fish in, observe it for a few days to see it eat, then ship it to me. This makes me much more confident than "Ya, it should be OK."

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind paying more for a healthier fish. I mean, I'm not paying 5X as much, but I would probably pay 50-75% more. I spoke with Emiliano today. He said he that he will get the fish in, observe it for a few days to see it eat, then ship it to me. This makes me much more confident than "Ya, it should be OK."

they aren’t necessarily healthier. He isn’t quarantining anything, look around the store there’s no area for it.

He buys from Quality Marine and Merrit. Unless the store is massive, just about everyone in the Tristate and south eastern New England buy from the same places wholesale wise.

Getting fish in from transhipping, waiting a few short days for them to eat, then shipping them right back out again is a recipe for disaster.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting fish in from transhipping, waiting a few short days for them to eat, then shipping them right back out again is a recipe for disaster.
Which is what most do. One of the places on here that everyone keeps recommending does exactly that. I know that because he personally told me he was going to ship a fish the next day after he got it in.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is what most do. One of the places on here that everyone keeps recommending does exactly that. I know that because he personally told me he was going to ship a fish the next day after he got it in.
You know most that well? I’ve been doing this since 2004 and couldn’t make that claim to know that “most” shops are engaging that practice. In reality, MOST aren’t, because that’s patently ridiculous and the sign of a shop that is quite frankly inexperienced in regards to shipping aquatic livestock.

if you’re buying from a shop who turns fish around to ship days after transhipping, you’re buying from the wrong places and you’ll pay for it in the long run. Especially ones who would openly admit that to a customer without even realizing how crazy that is.

Last edited:

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know most that well? I’ve been doing this since 2004 and couldn’t make that claim.

if you’re buying from a shop who turns fish around in days after transhipping, you’re buying from the wrong places and you’ll pay for it in the long runii no.
Most isn't all, correct? Are you telling me that a LFS wouldn't sell a fish that came in that day if someone wanted it? Are you saying that online retailers aren't putting fish up on the site the day it comes in?

Like I said, a store mentioned several times on this thread (that people are recommending) told me last week that he was going to do just that.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i gave up on them and aquarium solutions (even after the move). I just go down to reefco/absolutely fish.

Ks4726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Employees were really nice. I bought a dejardini from petes 6/7 months ago. I couldn't find one at absolutely. It was a fair price and i was going to qt myself. It was a unimpressive place with sick fish though. He had this 12 inch clown trigger in a 20 gallon tank. My wife came up to me and asked....how does it turn around? My answer.... it doesn't. Never went back.

Absolutely fish is in Clifton nj on rt 46. Been going there for 20 + years. That place has fallen off too but still better than most. Sea level in pinebrook is clean too.

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks nj’s to far away so I will check my local Petco now and then sometimes I can get a decent coral for a good price like this hammer coral I purchased for 40 bucks.It was not on the rock I drilled a hole in the rock and inserted the frag plug ,I really hate frag plugs.

Attachments

• 3FB3BBC8-E6D6-417A-9B4E-836A27EB1326.jpeg
    3FB3BBC8-E6D6-417A-9B4E-836A27EB1326.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 3153535D-AD1F-43AD-9EF2-2361D484A514.jpeg
    3153535D-AD1F-43AD-9EF2-2361D484A514.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 27
  • 9A166B50-B99B-4A2E-B64C-61FBC7DDDF3C.jpeg
    9A166B50-B99B-4A2E-B64C-61FBC7DDDF3C.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 29

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i gave up on them and aquarium solutions (even after the move). I just go down to reefco/absolutely fish.
No disrespect, but comparing Aquarium Solutions to Pete's, is hardly fair. Not trying to dis Pete either, I just don't think he has the passion for it any more. Aquarium Solutions, on the other hand, is a nice store with display tanks as well as actual coral and inverts for sale. I think it is critical that we have a legit Saltwater LFS in the area, after all these years. It brings other people in to the hobby and gives us a place to compare notes. Not to mention, it is nearly impossible to run an LFS these days and support a family. Yes, the Jersey and CT stores are nice, but come on... let's support our stores too, including Mikey's place.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No disrespect, but comparing Aquarium Solutions to Pete's, is hardly fair. Not trying to dis Pete either, I just don't think he has the passion for it any more. Aquarium Solutions, on the other hand, is a nice store with display tanks as well as actual coral and inverts for sale. I think it is critical that we have a legit Saltwater LFS in the area, after all these years. It brings other people in to the hobby and gives us a place to compare notes. Not to mention, it is nearly impossible to run an LFS these days and support a family. Yes, the Jersey and CT stores are nice, but come on... let's support our stores too, including Mikey's place.
not directly comparing them, but unfortunately the owner of aquarium solutions also stiffed me on a tank move he agreed to and caused a huge issue for me. That and seeing 10+ dead fish in his tanks on my first visit to the new location....personally i wont do business there anymore.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not directly comparing them, but unfortunately the owner of aquarium solutions also stiffed me on a tank move he agreed to and caused a huge issue for me. That and seeing 10+ dead fish in his tanks on my first visit to the new location....personally i wont do business there anymore.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Emiliano (if that is who you spoke with) has been very good to me thus far. No sick fish or deals gone bad. He is very much a business minded person, but that is what it takes to run an LFS. I am confident he'd cover it if I could prove the issue was NOT with my system. I generally find him to be quite knowledgeable, when it comes to fish and have had some good conversations over the past few years. I'm sure he was just as upset as you, when he lost those fish.

Either way, I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience over at 101 and I totally understand it leaving a bad taste in your mouth. It's hard to find people we can trust in this hobby.

amoore311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the 5th person who've i've seen with a really poor business relationship with this place. My friend built out his entire original store racking, and Emeliano stiffed him on the payment. The store experience itself was similar to mine on my last visit also.

I agree with Matt, we 100% need a reliable decent sized local fish store.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Matt, we 100% need a reliable decent sized local fish store.

yes, i think that we can all 100% agree on that. I'd love to shop local, i hate shipping fish. This is why I'm left taking the trip to NJ unfortunately.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, i think that we can all 100% agree on that. I'd love to shop local, i hate shipping fish. This is why I'm left taking the trip to NJ unfortunately.
My opinion, between HVFNR and 101, I believe we already have two good stores in the area… but if someone wishes to open a third, even BIGGER AND BETTER, I will happily support and shop at that LFS too! Would be really freaking cool to make the Hudson Valley a reef keeping destination, increase the number of local hobbyists and even better if everyone was willing to work together.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re willing to drive to NJ, then you should be willing to drive to Eastchester NY…. Aqua Reef Aquatics… Nelson, formerly with Max Reef in Yonkers, NY, runs a nice shop and can get most anything you want.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re willing to drive to NJ, then you should be willing to drive to Eastchester NY…. Aqua Reef Aquatics… Nelson, formerly with Max Reef in Yonkers, NY, runs a nice shop and can get most anything you want.

funny you should mention that, i literally just found out about them yesterday surfing on here.

trying to find a BTA locally.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back