PEX for plumbing vs traditional PVC

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36gal bowfront that I am geting ready to start designing the plumbing for my eventual sump/fuge. Looking at a 20gal tall or a DIY acrylic of unknown size. Thinking that the hard pvc maybe not for me (since there is a 3yr old and an 8 month old in the house )is it acceptable to use PEX for a future coral tank?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you use brass connectors, a wersbo system would work, but only with a $500 tool

Hudzon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you could use PEX with quick connects but that gets exspensive fast also.

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware of any pex fittings available that don't have brass in them, whether it be the crimp ring style, or the push on style. They all have some (or a large amount) of brass in them, which is simply not acceptable for a reef tank of any kind. Even the screw on compression (qwest) fittings have metal in them, so not good there either (plus they are pricy as all get out). Vinyl tubing or pvc is the standard of choice in plumbing our tanks. I've seen some done in ABS as well, but finding it that small is a real challenge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info.

@jgraz I worry about the rigity of the plumbing and if someone goes against the rules and gets beside/behind the tank and starts reaching

OP
OP
F

fyrfytr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it was, and I saw it each time...but I just cant wrap my head around vinyl for some reason...lol Whenever I think of it I think of kitchen floors, not spa hoses or tubing

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this post, has anyone tried pex? It's being used everywhere now instead of copper lines, due to cost. And the cool thing is, you can buy a flo-lock fitting to mate pex with PVC. .:)

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like vinyl tubing cause I really don't like the barbs and clamps that end up rusting even if they're stAinless steel. I looked into pex when it 1st came out years ago, and as mentioned above the fittings have metal and guest fittings, too expensive! PVC and Spa-flex is all I've used for builds. The spa-flex or flexible PVC as it also goes by is great! It glues into regular PVC fittings and offers flexibility for tight connections when needed. Not all hardware stores carry this stuff and it can be hard to find sometimes in all diameters. Your best bet is a plumbing type hardware store that deals with selling and connecting spas or jacuzzis. When I need rigidity standard PVC. When I got a tight connection to make spa flex.

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all about flex PVC. lol (irrigation)

The flo lock I'm referring to, is similar to a shark bite. But PVC. The lock ring is stainless and grabs to the outside of the pex. Below that is an o-ring. Pretty cool stuff. Especially when you need to mix it up or don't want to redo a whole lot more stuff.

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410639612.006871.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410639918.496850.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410639954.323034.jpg

Spa flex and thin walled irrigation tubing(usually black) are 2 different things. I would never use irrigation tubing, it doesn't glue to PVC fittings and it works with barbs and clamps like vinyl tubing. An irrigation system with spa flex would be very expensive! That's why it's best used in tight quarters like around a jacuzzi, or in our application the cabinet of a fish tank. Hope this helps.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back