pH below 7.6 tank crash

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my tank last night to our new house only thing different I did was I added tap water to my tank everything seemed fine untill tonight I fed my fish Everything was fine fish ate walked back into my fish tank room all my fish died on my red Sea reefer kit says my pH is below 7.6 what can I do to bring it back up or what should I do

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but moved the tank month and a half ago without issue
Doesn't matter. You should not use old sand. It traps detritus and other organics that can be released into the water column and quickly raise nitrates and/ammonia and kill fish fast like you described.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rain water is acidic so I put some bi-carb soda in the water till I get 8.4. I wouldn't have thought that low ph would kill your fish so quickly . I never get a ph reading from the petshop water and none of my fish have died. Might be worth looking into your bio filter. How long did you leave stuff out of water etc. It only takes about half an hour to kill bacteria if it's not submerged or airated. If you rinsed all your sand and rock in saltwater your biofilter should be fine .

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna retest my nitrate it's off the charts the other thing when I moved the tank last time I only had 3 fish now have 5 with alittle bigger bio load the move probably did it I guess. Everything was fine all fish had color I fed them tonight right after that it was like they were gasping and lost all there color came back 20 min later all dead

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't matter. You should not use old sand. It traps detritus and other organics that can be released into the water column and quickly raise nitrates and/ammonia and kill fish fast like you described.
I’ve moved and reused sand 3times in a 29cube and had no issues or die off in any corals

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few ways to buffer ph I think @Humblefish knows of one using household products but ph swings don’t kill fish as easy as ammonia or diseases. I hear stories of people that stress fish then they die but don’t know why and sometimes it’s the weakened immune system from stress to blame. But in this situation I’m more worried about the tap water

OP
OP
T

Tommy McDonald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate was off the chart high
There’s a few ways to buffer ph I think @Humblefish knows of one using household products but ph swings don’t kill fish as easy as ammonia or diseases. I hear stories of people that stress fish then they die but don’t know why and sometimes it’s the weakened immune system from stress to blame. But in this situation I’m more worried about the tap water
My red Sea test kit give 0,2,5,10,20 and 50 I was darker color than 50 off the chart tested twice same results my ammonia is showing .04

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate was off the chart high

My red Sea test kit give 0,2,5,10,20 and 50 I was darker color than 50 off the chart tested twice same results my ammonia is showing .04
Yea it sounds like your tank went through an ammonia spike most likely from the tap

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If tap is the only source of water then I would advise you to use prime or some brand of dechlorinator/ammonia remover

Last edited:

instareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen could have been quickly depleted for some reason. Gasping and sudden death often results from such events.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back