PH cycles

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screenshot of my pH. I have the typical daily swings that are a result of the lights turning on/off. I have also noticed that over a ten day period, there seems to be a larger cycle. If you look at the daily peaks in the graph, you can see that they go from 8.07 to 8.28 and then start to go back down. This larger cycle is constantly repeating. Does anyone have a theory on what might cause this to happen?

P.S. I do have my sump light on an opposite schedule from my DT lights to reduce the pH swings.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 11.48.32 AM.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guesses:
Changing water or maybe having more people in the house, cleaning glass once a week.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guesses:
Changing water or maybe having more people in the house, cleaning glass once a week.
The daily cycles are, well, daily. The larger cycle is approximately 2 weeks. I clean my glass every day or two. The longer cycle has no correlation to water changes. The number of people in my house is quite constant.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My graph looks similar, the last few peaks cover a higher range because it's cooler and our windows are open vs running AC constantly with everything shut.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Alk usage / consumption going up and down? Is your pH probe clean, in the dark?
I don't measure Alk regularly enough to know if consumption is correlated to pH. Probe is clean and in my sump (which gets light every night)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back