PH drop

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. So to keep the story short I have a nano tank in my apt and I dose Aquavitro Balance to maintain my PH levels. It 100% moves Alkalinity, so i dose each accordingly. I got it to the point everything was happy for a few months and my PH was stable from 7.8 low to an 8.2 high throughout the day. Only time I ever noticed big swings was when I cooked for a long time since the tank is near my kitchen...Now randomly my PH is lower every day. I checked my probe with my hannah checker and it is in line. I now lost one of my acros. None of my other levels in the tank have changed. Nothing about who is in the apt, or how often has changed. No change in AC use or the windows being open. I'm at a loss of what to do. I ordered a two little fishies nano CO2 scrubber but it won't be here for a week. Any ideas?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many successful tanks have large daily pH swings. So I'm not sure this is what I would be chasing. Can you provide more information about your tank and the acro you lost? How old is the tank? How long have you had the acro? How are you maintaining Alk/Ca?

Last edited:
OP
OP
adsf430

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a consistent lowering. I've had the tank 1.5 years. It used to be 7.8-8.2 everyday, now it's about 7.65-8.08. I'm 100% positive the Balance moves Alk, i've used it for a long time now. About .3 ml of Balance replaces .1ml of Red Sea Alk. The acro i lost was a TSA fruity pebbles frag i've had for a few months, completely bleached within a day from being healthy. I maintain my parameters with two Dos and the red sea supplements and test Alk daily and Calc/Mag weekly or bi-weekly. Salinity never moves so i hardly check it, I just make sure my auto top off is working and check the salinity during all water changes.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a consistent lowering. I've had the tank 1.5 years. It used to be 7.8-8.2 everyday, now it's about 7.65-8.08. I'm 100% positive the Balance moves Alk, i've used it for a long time now. About .3 ml of Balance replaces .1ml of Red Sea Alk. The acro i lost was a TSA fruity pebbles frag i've had for a few months, completely bleached within a day from being healthy. I maintain my parameters with two Dos and the red sea supplements and test Alk daily and Calc/Mag weekly or bi-weekly. Salinity never moves so i hardly check it, I just make sure my auto top off is working and check the salinity during all water changes.
Sorry I'm wrong about the hydroxide. I wasn't thinking. It definitely moves Alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 100% positive the Balance moves Alk, i've used it for a long time now.

Yes, it does, despite certain manufacturer claims to the contrary. it's a fine alk supplement and is part of my very high pH DIY.

Did you alter the window open/closed situation?

Might be pH test error.

OP
OP
adsf430

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for checking in. There is no change to the window situation or amount of people/pets home etc and I'm going off my probe which I've checked twice now against my Hannah checker to make sure it's correct

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back