pH has dropped, can't figure out why, is it getting dangerously low?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that helps to understand. Your point about air around the tank is where I'm wondering the dynamics especially. So high turbulence at the surface, or in a skimmer, or air stone bubbles, etc... will cause the water to reach an equilibrium with the amount of CO2 in that air source. If in my sump I have a bunch of turbulence in my skimmer with air scrubbed off all CO2 and other than that there is no turbulence in my sump. This should be decreasing CO2 in the sump since the air into the sump has none. Now if in my display tank I have a bunch of surface turbulence but the ambient air is loaded with CO2, then this would be gaining CO2 and then surface turbulence would seem counter productive. Does that seem possible in a broad sense.
Yes, that is pretty much how it works.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brew12

I usually doubt pH numbers when I do see em reported that high, BTW

I was almost "That Guy" today ;). I hit 8.15 and held it for a couple hours. Low last night was 7.87! I feel like I am starting to make progress. I added another dose of water to the CO2 scrubber late yesterday and tentatively I think that made a difference. I am going to make a cartridge to bubble the air thru and humidify it before the scrubber. Not getting my hopes up, but it is a cheap test.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back