PH is 7.6 at night. Is that a concern?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Denisk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2016
Messages
1,651
Reaction score
1,833
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I realized my PH probe was creeping up and I was just too excited thinking my ph beautifully just sits at 8.2 during the night and 8.5 during the day... Well that was not the case after I recalibrated my ph probe with levels of ph sitting at 7.67 at night to 8.04 mid day. Ive tried opening windows, pointing the return towards the top of the water for agitation, and yet not significant changes.

My question to you, is there any suggestions how to raise ph while keeping it stable? I dont mind running a skimmer with a C02 scrubber if that will make a real difference. The reason I don't run a skimmer is since I already have low nutrients without one and have to dose both nitrates and phosphates daily to keep nutrients at ideal levels. Nothing is showing signs of concern so maybe it's worth doing nothing but at the same time I do believe a 7.67 ph is on the low side.

Current parameters as of yesterday:
Salinity - 1.025
Alk - 7.2
Cal - 420
Mag - 1320
No3 - 7.6
P04 - .06

IMG_3964.jpg
 
Alk seems a little low, I'm not an expert by any means.
Also u could try a air stone hooked to air pump in sump to bring up ph.. for best results use outside air....
 
I should mention that my ph runs between 7.7- 8.1 I've noticed my coral likes it at the higher end.
I would imagine. Some of the best results I've personally seen were with a stable ph around 8.2 but I just want to be able to do it with a repeatable stable way. the last thing I want is having PH fluctuate even more.
 
I would imagine. Some of the best results I've personally seen were with a stable ph around 8.2 but I just want to be able to do it with a repeatable stable way. the last thing I want is having PH fluctuate even more.
Understood, well that's about all I have to offer. I wish u luck finding answers that work.
 
Alk seems a little low, I'm not an expert by any means.
Also u could try a air stone hooked to air pump in sump to bring up ph.. for best results use outside air....
Agree with this. I setup an air stone in the sump and placed my air pump where it can get outside air. I went from 7.5 lows to 7.85 lows, and 7.9 highs to 8.15 highs. A skimmer set very dry or low and an air intake routed outside will help without any extra dosing or effort.
 
Agree with this. I setup an air stone in the sump and placed my air pump where it can get outside air. I went from 7.5 lows to 7.85 lows, and 7.9 highs to 8.15 highs. A skimmer set very dry or low and an air intake routed outside will help without any extra dosing or effort.
Yeah. I was considering just getting a skimmer and setting it to a dry skim and if that doesn't work a ton, adding a C02 scrubber to it.
 
Skimmer will possibly help with co2 exchange, raising pH and your nutrients listed are not low.
I agree my nutrients are where I'd like them to be now since I had to start dosing nitrates and phosphates. Without that, I was sitting at 0 nitrates and .003 phosphates hence why I didn't want to run a skimmer. I might add one for the C02 exchange in hopes it raises PH but didn't want it to cause my nutrients to fall again.
 
I was in the same situation and just adding a skimmer gave me a pretty good bump. I was dipping to 7.6 with a peak of 7.9 maybe 8.0 if we were in and out a lot. I added the skimmer and now my low is 8.0 and my high is 8.3-8.4. This morning my low was 8.2 because we left the house open last night. I'm not emptying the cup just letting it run because I don't want to lower my nutrients.
Its an SPS tank and was doing fine I thought even with the lower pH. I started the skimmer 8/12 and have had to increase my AFR from 30ml to 47ml daily and I dosed 30ml (10x3) of 2 part for an extra bump so I didn't have to wait for the AFR to kick in. It should be interesting to see my growth now with the extra consumption.
 
I was in the same situation and just adding a skimmer gave me a pretty good bump. I was dipping to 7.6 with a peak of 7.9 maybe 8.0 if we were in and out a lot. I added the skimmer and now my low is 8.0 and my high is 8.3-8.4. This morning my low was 8.2 because we left the house open last night. I'm not emptying the cup just letting it run because I don't want to lower my nutrients.
Its an SPS tank and was doing fine I thought even with the lower pH. I started the skimmer 8/12 and have had to increase my AFR from 30ml to 47ml daily and I dosed 30ml (10x3) of 2 part for an extra bump so I didn't have to wait for the AFR to kick in. It should be interesting to see my growth now with the extra consumption.
That is exactly my thoughts behind PH being so important especially since I plan to house mostly sps. I've noticed anyone who was running a lower ph has had to a huge uptake in dosing the moment they got their ph in the 8.1 to 8.3 range. I appreciate you sharing this and good luck with the growth! Looks like ill be buying a skimmer this week haha
 
That is exactly my thoughts behind PH being so important especially since I plan to house mostly sps. I've noticed anyone who was running a lower ph has had to a huge uptake in dosing the moment they got their ph in the 8.1 to 8.3 range. I appreciate you sharing this and good luck with the growth! Looks like ill be buying a skimmer this week haha
How bigs the tank?
 
Id say 45/50 gallons total. Looking to run some sort of cheaper skimmer just for the C02 exchange. Dont need it to really pull anything out.
Just throw some air stones in if you don't need a skimmer? Others here have raised their PH with just air stones.
 
I agree my nutrients are where I'd like them to be now since I had to start dosing nitrates and phosphates. Without that, I was sitting at 0 nitrates and .003 phosphates hence why I didn't want to run a skimmer. I might add one for the C02 exchange in hopes it raises PH but didn't want it to cause my nutrients to fall again.
Just to add a thought. 0 no3 (hobby tested) and .003 po4 are not bad either….

IMG_1123.png
IMG_1124.jpeg
 
I'm dealing with the same thing. I've run. The skimmer line outside and that hasn't fixed it. Mixed salt water tests 8.0 so I know its becoming more acidic. Just too much c02 concentration in the room I have the tank. You could do what I'm about to do and start dosing Kalk. It binds with c02 and raises ph. I'm gonna get a Kalk stirrer and just dose enough to maintain ph.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new