ph/kalk/2part.....will this work?

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never realized the importance of measuring pH in my reef before until a coworker had mentioned his huge success in growth with his mixed reef when he drip dosed Kali at night. He mentioned how the pH drop at night caused significant damper in coral growth. I know another reefer who has had success with no wc's in his 125 mixed reef . he had few fishes and kept feeding to a minimum and was religious with his daily dosing of two part.

I have mixed reef 60 cube and 65 frag tank plumbed together sharing a 40 g sump/fuge full of live rock and NOx bio pellet reactor. I do 10% wc's with esv salt and my calc and alk levels are 460 and 11 and feel my tank is getting by but not thriving...4 fishes..I feed my corals 2x weekly..I want to take a new direction...I'm thinking to cut out the wc's ...drip dose kalk at night..and dose two part in the mornings..I can't use a dosing pump because my shifts at work change weekly so does my lighting scbedule ...I'm super excited to try this....was curious if there were any significant drawbacks to this method......

dave9905

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting a timer for the lights so that there is a consistant lighting schedule. I work different schedule from day to day also and would only turn my lights on while I was home, I noticed better results when I finally put my lights on a timer when I went on vacation a couple years ago. I would not stop water changes as I believe that is the most important thing to keeping levels in check. I do 10 gallons a week in my 90g with 20g sump and tank and corals always look better after each water change. I dose two part at night when lights are out and ph doesn't seem to drop. Maybe try to put a light on your fuge at night when the display lights are out...

OP
OP
poorish idol

poorish idol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use timers.. 10on14off...I just change the timers every Sunday night....I wanna keep the lights on when I'm home so when I work graveyard..they r on 8am-6pm and when I work ams they r on 1pm-11pm...shouldn't be an issue right? Consisitant for the most part...I have not yet purchased a pH probe due to the price (200+ ouch)...I plan to start measuring pH mornings and nights to get an idea...I thought about a fuge light..but figure the kalkwasser at night would more than compensate if there are any pH drops....my main concern is if this double dosing (kalk at night and two part in day) can have any adverse effects...I have a few "renegade reefers" who have success w/o doing wc's....of course the transition is the hard part..I'm sure once the tank finds its balance...it should be fine..of course assuming I keep feeding and waste down and dosing on the regular....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back