PH Measurement - Is it necessary?

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new APEX EL which I primarily purchased to control my heater, pumps, skimmer, etc. It does have a pH probe but I've never before measured pH in my reef tank nor really know how to control pH swings. I've also read lots of posts about the need to calibrate it often. What is everyone's opinion on usefulness of monitoring pH. Should i not even bother connecting it?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to use to test for swings. And a really good reason to test for swings is to see if maybe you overdosed alkalinity as that will cause a ph swing

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is needed in my opinion. If the PH gets to low the water becomes acidic to corals. Tanks naturally swing the PH between the day and night as photosynthesis removes C02 from the tank. Knowing the swing of your tank is a key tool. IMO, its even more important for SPS tanks. Plus, knowing your PH is key if you want to raise it and increase the growth of your corals.

76F3145C-DF40-4213-A17F-42416132A9C7.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monitoring pH is not an absolute requirement, but in my opinion since you have the probe you should use it. pH can spike if you're dosing things like soda ash to increase your alkalinity, or it can plummet if there's too much CO2 in your house. Knowing when these events happen can be useful, so you can back off a bit or spread out the dosing, or open a window to get fresh air into the house.

Here's a typical week for my tank's pH:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 3.45.41 PM.png

And here is a graph showing the results of hosting a large party at our house. All those guests exhaling CO2 caused my tank's pH to drop. The Apex sent me an alert, so I opened a couple windows.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 7.30.50 PM.png

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get one! It can save your corals and fish if your water starts going acidic. A very useful tool to have

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't chase my numbers until this past july. Corals that were as beautiful as can be bleached out and wouldn't open. Opened up my apex looked at the ph and way below 7.8. It freaked me out. Opened up my windows waited for a bit no wind at all. Hooked a fan up outside to hlow air in and another fan to blow out at another window I saw results at that point
By 9:30 pm ph was at 8.0 and corals started to open. But I wasn't going to leave the windows open all night. So I broke down and got a co2 scrubber. Worked. Got a new tank this past January and set it at a different spot. Closer to 2 windows that were original to my house err. By original I mean house built in the 40s and same glass. Not air tight. And by a door from the stairs. My ph has stayed steady in the 8.1 range. I don't dose or anything. And have a weaker light on it. Compared to the sbreef lights. My fears are growing and happy

OP
OP
L

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go ahead and install the pH probe and calibrate it using the packets of fluid provided. Everything seemed normal for the past 3 days until now. My pH reading has flat lined at 8.03 for the past 6 hours. I'm afraid it is not reading properly now. Does anyone know what could be the problem?

APEX pH.png

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph fluctuates between 7.9 night and 8.1 day. This is a normal swing and the tank is fine and has run like this since seup almost 10 months ago.
Old nano did the same for over 2 years.
Your swing looks fine. Dont get hung up on numbers.
I have 3 different ph meters. If one seems off I check it with another.
I have an apex but have never set it up lol.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only calibrated mine initially, two years ago.

1587260539873.png
You have not calibrated the probe in 2 years???
Mine drifts upward every month, sometimes by .1 to .3 in value. Cleaning the probe helps but it’s still drifts upward more each month until I calibrate it
Also 2 years is about the max you can get out of a probe. Eighteen months is more the norm. .

TheGreatBarrioReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ph monitor but never bother looking at it. I do however test for alk once a week. Don’t chase numbers for trying to correct one thing you’re going to mess something else up. Stability is key. I looked at my ph monitor after seeing this post and noticed my ph is 7.8. Sps dominant tank

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have not calibrated the probe in 2 years???
Mine drifts upward every month, sometimes by .1 to .3 in value. Cleaning the probe helps but it’s still drifts upward more each month until I calibrate it
Also 2 years is about the max you can get out of a probe. Eighteen months is more the norm. .
You are probably correct. But I don't really pay attention to ph, other than to say, yeah, that looks about right. My tank ph has always measured on the high side, even from the beginning when I first calibrated the probe.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the same as @sarcophytonIndy, set up and calibrated the Apex two and a half years ago. I spot check my pH probe against other test kits kits and it has remained spot on. Have we just been lucky? Anybody else with the same experience? Back to OP's question, it's nice to be able to see the trends.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back