PH Meter Recommendations

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone recommend a decent ph meter? I have been looking at the Hanna pen from marine depot and the Milwaukee PH6000 pen from BRS. the Milwaukee has horrible reviews but some of the are obvious user issues. Trying to stay under $50 if it's possible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a particular brand to recommend as they are many and they are constantly changing model #'s.

Be sure it has at least two point calibration. At $50 or less, you won't get many other features (and don't really need them), but here's a discussion of other issues as well as how to use it:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/chem.htm

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a particular brand to recommend as they are many and they are constantly changing model #'s.

Be sure it has at least two point calibration. At $50 or less, you won't get many other features (and don't really need them), but here's a discussion of other issues as well as how to use it:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/chem.htm

Thanks for the link Randy. Mine is old and I bought it used so I'm not real confident in its readings. Seems to jump around and never settle on a number even in the calibration fluid.

A member on another forum hooked me up with this one.

http://www.coleparmer.com/Category/Oakton_Waterproof_pHTestr_20_Pocket_Tester/60300

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy who makes a living selling pH analyzers I'll just say "keep the bulb wet". pH sensitive glass loses sensitivity quickly when it dries out, and I have seen some instruction manuals on these portables that don't explain what to do with the meter when you aren't using it.

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a guy who makes a living selling pH analyzers I'll just say "keep the bulb wet". pH sensitive glass loses sensitivity quickly when it dries out, and I have seen some instruction manuals on these portables that don't explain what to do with the meter when you aren't using it.

Yeah the one I have right now has a piece of sponge in the cap and it was hard as rock and dried out. It said not to use water to keep it wet. What is recommended?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually 4 buffer is best, but not as common in saltwater hobby since pH range is alkaline so most calibrations are done with 7&10 buffers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My recommendation is for folks to either keep it in a commercial solution designed for that, or diluted salt water (say, half of normal seawater salinity).

OP
OP
hig789

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just get some storage solution. I am about to place a order with marine depot

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back