pH Probe inaccuracies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, getting my pH probe setup today, and seeing some off readings. For context, this is a new tank, with 50 gallons of saltwater from my LFS and 40 gallons from my own brewing. I filled it on Sunday (day and a half ago). I calibrated my pH probe and things checked out. I stuck it in the tank (after a rinse) and it's showing a pH of 8.89, which feels high for how new this system is.

I grabbed my Red Sea test kit and ran a quick test of pH and it came back at a clear 8.2, which feels a lot closer to what I'd expect. Has anyone else seen this? I used Auto Calibration and all the indicators were green. (Water Temp is 79.1 btw)

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnd just realized I didn't place the calibration solution packets in the tank before I did the calibration. Would that cause things to be off that much?

bdunn13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing or doing to get your PH up? Before I got a CO2 scrubber and started using Kalkwasser, my ph was 7.74 or less.. If you are not doing anything else, I would trust that number...

Get 1 more testing method to be sure which is accurate :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back