PH problems

jeratc1025$

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help maintaining my PH. I used distilled white vinegar to lower it down but goes right back up the next day. It goes as high as 8.45. Please help.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually a good thing. Why would you want to decrease it? What's the error margin on your test (if you know)?

Natural ocean (before human co2 acidification) was 8.3 and is roughly 8.2 now.

OP
OP
J

jeratc1025$

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually a good thing. Why would you want to decrease it? What's the error margin on your test (if you know)?

Natural ocean (before human co2 acidification) was 8.3 and is roughly 8.2 now.
I just want to stabilize it. It fluctuates too much. And i feel like 8.45 is a tad bit high. I put an airstone in my sump but that doesn’t help at all.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to stabilize it. It fluctuates too much. And i feel like 8.45 is a tad bit high. I put an airstone in my sump but that doesn’t help at all.

How much does it drop at night? If that is a concern, maybe consider a reverse light cycle refugium or similar. 8.45 is not going to cause problems though. You can double check with Randy on that if you want. He has a lot of things written on pH.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ph is going to fluctuate from day to night. I wouldn’t worry about your ph as long as everything looks happy leave it. Just search Randy Holmes Farleys articles I listen to everything he says here He’s a genius when it comes to water chemistry and he says that a ph of 8.4 is nothing to worry about.
Top Shelf Aquatics

[IMG alt="Randy Holmes-Farley"]https://www.reef2reef.com/data/avatars/m/45/45227.jpg?1431874226[/IMG]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist​

Review score +0 /0 /-0
Staff member

Super Moderator

R2R Supporter

R2R Excellence Award

Expert Contributor

Article Contributor
Best implies an opinion, and begs the question "What criteria?".

Higher pH is expected to lead to faster growth of some hard corals, given other conditions are not limiting growth.

Higher pH can also lead to more precipitation of calcium carbonate on pumps, etc.

The pH range of a typical reef tank is generally Ok from 7.8 to 8.55. Outside that range, issue become more concerning.

What is "perfect?". Depends on your goals.

I ran my tank at 8.30 to 8.55 for years and though that was fine

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back