pH question

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for a little over a month. Never cycled. Started with 140 lbs of live rock fully cured and live sand. Somewhere around 115gallons of water. My pH religiously only fluctuates between 7.87-7.99 on calibrated apex. Red sea usually shows right at 8. When I do water change the new RSC water shows about 8.4 ph. I did 26 gallons the other day. Initially pH went to about 8.07. Then it plummeted to 7.65. After a few days back up to 7.95ish.

Questions, why the plummet shortly after water change??? Have a couple zoas and a mushroom frag, would like to raise pH a little. Have doser but haven't started using it do to my very light coral load. DkH is 7.9. Of I raise that a little pH will follow correct??

Thanks

71xlch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger question is why chase numbers? Is there an issue or are you making it an issue. Hardest part for me in reefing was trying to get my tank to follow other people's tanks numbers

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger question is why chase numbers? Is there an issue or are you making it an issue. Hardest part for me in reefing was trying to get my tank to follow other people's tanks numbers
My main question is why the big dip in pH after water change. Wondering how it physically makes sense. Also going from 8 to 7.6 in a few hours cant thrill the fish.

71xlch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.4 doubt it makes a difference. Randy has a great article on PH and I'm sure he will chime in. My biggest issue is it has been so hot out the house is completely closed up which raises the co2 in the air. Then my skimmer sucks all that in, infusing it into my tank lowering the PH.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 78.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back