PH Raise experiment

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I decided to do an experiment on trying to raise the PH. It currently peaks at 8.06 every night when the lights reach their 10 hour peak. I already run a skimmer hooked up to an external air pump which is located outside already. So I brought in a second skimmer pump from a vertex model and loosely left it into the sump hooked up to outside too. The volume if mixed water in the sump was incredible. 100% of the water flowing through the sump passed through this storm for 6 hours but unfortunately there was zero increase in PH through PH monitoring via a Neptune.

For this highly aggressive approach to introduction high volumes of oxygen into the system I thought I’d of seen a PH of at least 8.2.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I decided to do an experiment on trying to raise the PH. It currently peaks at 8.06 every night when the lights reach their 10 hour peak. I already run a skimmer hooked up to an external air pump which is located outside already. So I brought in a second skimmer pump from a vertex model and loosely left it into the sump hooked up to outside too. The volume if mixed water in the sump was incredible. 100% of the water flowing through the sump passed through this storm for 6 hours but unfortunately there was zero increase in PH through PH monitoring via a Neptune.

For this highly aggressive approach to introduction high volumes of oxygen into the system I thought I’d of seen a PH of at least 8.2.

FWIW, it's not the O2, but the CO2 levels that control pH (along with alkalinity), and outdoor CO2 has been rising. With NSW levels of alk, the highest pH one could expect these days is 8.1 to 8.2. With higher alk, the pH can be higher.

What is the tank alkalinity?

OP
OP
J

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it's not the O2, but the CO2 levels that control pH (along with alkalinity), and outdoor CO2 has been rising. With NSW levels of alk, the highest pH one could expect these days is 8.1 to 8.2. With higher alk, the pH can be higher.

What is the tank alkalinity?
Very true point Randy about the CO2 rather than the oxygen. Thanks for the information.

Although I haven't tested this for a couple of weeks the alk of the tank was 10.6.

OP
OP
J

johnnyenv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Alk of the tank is 10.5 DKh.

Update to the thread. I was using an RO line to draw the air in from outside. I've now hooked up a Ehiem 9-12mm line and the PH is now currently at 8.2.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back