PH Rising??

grr410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone...
Question on rising PH in my tank. Tank is almost 1 yr old and recently had a cynobacteria (red slime) outbreak, which killed corals (hammers and torches), but zoas and shrooms did ok. I treated with red slime after about a month of trying to figure it out on my own.
Since then and some tuning of my skimmer my PH has been fluctuating between 8.2-8.45 over the past 3-4 days. Normally, my PH has been between 7.9-8.2 throughout the day. Any suggestions on how to normalize or bring it back down? Could it be due to the tuning of my skimmer (NYOS 120) I feel like it keeps rising then dropping but steadily increasing throughout the day.

Parameters:
Red Sea 200XL
Nitrates 8.5
Phosphates .02
Alk 9.0
Salinity 1.025
**all testing is w/ Hanna checkers and I have not measured Mag or Calcium in a while***

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people would kill for pH levels like that (especially without a Co2 scrubber which I assume you don't use), so enjoy your coral growth!
Exactly my thought! I was like "what's the problem" :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

68 Stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, One thing I learned recently was my PH began rising higher than normal and after a couple of days had a Dino outbreak.

Estonian Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the reasoning to bring that kind of PH levels down. Those pH levels are beneficial. Did you change anything or started adding anything to bring big value up? I can tell you that with certainty that skimmer tweaking wouldn't make such a big pH jump. There's also consideration on faulty test kit readings.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started to open the windows with nicer weather, that is what happened.

Always good to check a probe. They don't last long and can drift.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back