pH, seems like its always pH

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advice or just observations please

Have an 11 month since start with 6 month matured rocks - 180 Cade.
T5 hybrid with 3 Gen5s
solid thriving Fuge, regularly changed socks and RS skimmer
Salt - 1.026 - have to keep it from edging to 1.027
AWC with TM Pro 4 liters PD
dosing 450 mls BRS Kalk daily
Temp 79.5
Alk consistently 10.8 to 11.5 - Hannah 2-3 times a week (I know that's high end but its where it is)
Calcium 450-490 - Nyos - weekly
Mag 1380 - Salifert - monthly
N - 5.0 - 7.0 - Hannah or Red Sea -
Phos - 0.02 Hannah
Dosing Chaeto grow and Acropower

Live in a very rural setting and 4G (weak at that) IS my internet, so no WiFi advanced automation - Kamoer bluetooth and Mobius world!

Tank has a good assortment of Soft, LPS and SPS - most are thriving (Torches are going crazy) and last 2 - 3 months Acros have been spreading, reaching, coloring up and most with very active polyp movement. Very sporadic target feeding. Acros taking on some color that were not present at purchase and the LFS guy who cultivates them is impressed.

Tank had an over dosing Kalk run about 6 months ago which resulted in 25-30% coral frag loss and set back of many others. Had one ChemiClean treatment about 3 months back that did what it was supposed to do as much as I hated having to do it.

Since then honestly getting to the point where visual inspection and coral growth is making me feel better about the stability and (knock on drift wood) health of the system is where I would like it to be. Some hair algae in some of the low flow areas, and working on addressing that - hand picking, more grazers, and repositioning flow.

So my concern has been pH running 7.7 to 7.9 with a Milwaukee hand held that has been calibrated with same firm standard. Am plotting a fresh air line for the skimmer, but not there yet.
Was going to seek advice on low level intervention tools to bring it up slowly, but a new wrinkle has been added. On a lark I bought a Hannah pH checker, and it is reading 8.3 to 8.1 over 4 sessions/2 days.

Now, does anyone have experience with Hannah, and can I count on that and write off the Milwaukee. Is there a reader that would be a reliable tie breaker? Did an ICP test months back and have an unused one, but my lab bench experience (make vaccines for a living) makes me doubt their utility.

Tank looks and feels good, and don't want to mess up by pushing the pH and now the Hannah makes me feel like it matches the SPS condition.

Thanks for your considered inputs.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you have 2 different pH testers that are showing that big of a discrepancy, one or both of them is suspect. I would re-calibrate them both and see if you can narrow down a trusted reading. Getting a regular pH test kit may also be handy in this situation. They can be difficult to read, but in this case, with such a big spread, it may help to determine which tester is not holding calibration.

Chasing pH is never suggested, but adding an outside airline to your skimmer is always a plus, regardless of your pH.

Dennis

Sun.singh2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternate your fuge lighting with your main light. I.e run your fuge light at night so the algae is pulling CO2 from the water. This will lower the rate of carbonic acid formation and raise your PH. Remember your tank is basically a CO2 sink.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hand held pen pH meter (higher end supposedly). Wasn't impressed long term. After 6 months it couldn't keep a calibration from beginning of test to end and never tracked with other pH instruments (PinPoint/Apex). Followed maintenance/storage directions as well.

There is some concern with your numbers on the Milwaukee though if <7.8 because that when coral skeletons can start dissolving.

But you are running Alk > 10.5 and I would suspect your pH is closer to the Hanna numbers unless you have very high CO2. If it's calibrating good before and after your reading I would consider the Hanna good. Especially if your corals look good and growing.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternate your fuge lighting with your main light. I.e run your fuge light at night so the algae is pulling CO2 from the water. This will lower the rate of carbonic acid formation and raise your PH. Remember your tank is basically a CO2 sink.
Thanks and have done that from the start
tank is set in the lower level walk out part of the basement, and while there is not a lot of foot traffic there, am sure it does not get the air turnover i would like
moved some plants nearby, but dubious that will have an effect.

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hand held pen pH meter (higher end supposedly). Wasn't impressed long term. After 6 months it couldn't keep a calibration from beginning of test to end and never tracked with other pH instruments (PinPoint/Apex). Followed maintenance/storage directions as well.

There is some concern with your numbers on the Milwaukee though if <7.8 because that when coral skeletons can start dissolving.

But you are running Alk > 10.5 and I would suspect your pH is closer to the Hanna numbers unless you have very high CO2. If it's calibrating good before and after your reading I would consider the Hanna good. Especially if your corals look good and growing.
Thanks Quietman, and i want the Hannah numbers to be right and agree that the Kalk should be doing for the pH what is doing for the Alk, hence my confusion with the Milwaukee readings

Sun.singh2009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and have done that from the start
tank is set in the lower level walk out part of the basement, and while there is not a lot of foot traffic there, am sure it does not get the air turnover i would like
moved some plants nearby, but dubious that will have an effect.
Then I’m going to assume that the Hanna monitor is correct.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, does anyone have experience with Hannah, and can I count on that and write off the Milwaukee. Is there a reader that would be a reliable tie breaker? Did an ICP test months back and have an unused one, but my lab bench experience (make vaccines for a living) makes me doubt their utility.

Put each device in the same calibration fluid (one at a time) and see what you read.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back