Ph spikes

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon LPS (hammer, duncan) softy (zoa, leathers, recordias) tank that is about 7 years old. With ALOT of trail and error, the tank has become healthy and was showing great improvements. A few days ago, I was testing as I do every week, and found that the Ph was high, 8.6+. I did a 4 water change and waited 30 mins and tested Ph again, same reading. Everything else tested well. Salinity 1.025, alkalinity 9.5, calcium 496, magnesium 1370, phos .07 and nitrate 8.4 all tested with Hanna Colorimeters, other then magnesium, which was tested with a Salifert test kit. I've considered the possibility that the test kit is faulty. I'm still learning a lot about the chemistry of the hobby, so I would like to get some opinions, and suggestions on how to bring the Ph down if it is indeed high. Thank you.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd try to double check the pH with somebody else's test kit (a friend or an LFS). I wouldn't go doing anything crazy with the tank until you are sure about the level.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon LPS (hammer, duncan) softy (zoa, leathers, recordias) tank that is about 7 years old. With ALOT of trail and error, the tank has become healthy and was showing great improvements. A few days ago, I was testing as I do every week, and found that the Ph was high, 8.6+. I did a 4 water change and waited 30 mins and tested Ph again, same reading. Everything else tested well. Salinity 1.025, alkalinity 9.5, calcium 496, magnesium 1370, phos .07 and nitrate 8.4 all tested with Hanna Colorimeters, other then magnesium, which was tested with a Salifert test kit. I've considered the possibility that the test kit is faulty. I'm still learning a lot about the chemistry of the hobby, so I would like to get some opinions, and suggestions on how to bring the Ph down if it is indeed high. Thank you.
If you’ve got vigorous aeration and are not dosing a high pH alkalinity additive, I’d be amazed if pH is that high.

OP
OP
T

Thatreefguy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve got vigorous aeration and are not dosing a high pH alkalinity additive, I’d be amazed if pH is that high.
The aeration is the same as it has been for weeks, and I'm using Brightwell Alkaline 8.3 and never had an issue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back