Ph swing from 7.75 to 7.98 daily

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this swing acceptable for a mixed reef? I am still having quite a bit of trouble keeping the few sps in my tank alive. All the softies and lps including things like chalice corals are doing well. The sps just seen to slowly fade away.
Calcium - 450
Alk 8.7 - 8.9
Mag 1450
No3 is 5-10
Po4 is somewhere below .03
Below is my lighting schedule. Im at my whits end as i would like to keep a few nice sps corals.

Screenshot_20190523-164308_myAI.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That swing is not bad. Mine swings between 7.8 and 8.30 daily and I have no issues keeping SPS.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and do you have coralline growth?
Tank is about 8 months old and yes since i started dosing 2 part a couple months ago and got my parameters steady the coraline on my back wall has taken off. I went from 2 small spots to quarter sized growths all over my back wall and onto my rock. However my tanks uptake is only 2 ml a day of cal and alk.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 8 months old and yes since i started dosing 2 part a couple months ago and got my parameters steady the coraline on my back wall has taken off. I went from 2 small spots to quarter sized growths all over my back wall and onto my rock. However my tanks uptake is only 2 ml a day of cal and alk.
Your parameters look to be good and coralline is a good sign your tank is ready for SPS. I see your lighting schedule. Are your lights AI primes/hydras and what size tank? Also what types of SPS are you trying to keep?

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look to be good and coralline is a good sign your tank is ready for SPS. I see your lighting schedule. Are your lights AI primes/hydras and what size tank? Also what types of SPS are you trying to keep?
Its a reefer 250 so its only a 36x20x21 tank and a pair of hydra 26s. So far ive killed millies, acros, monties, and digis.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a reefer 250 so its only a 36x20x21 tank and a pair of hydra 26s. So far ive killed millies, acros, monties, and digis.
Very strange. How long does the SPS hang on for? Do they RTN overnight or slowly lose tissue? Could it be pest related - AEFW/MENs

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. How long does the SPS hang on for? Do they RTN overnight or slowly lose tissue? Could it be pest related - AEFW/MENs
Sps ususlly last about a month and slowly turn white starting at the tips. I have not seen any pests when checking at night and dip everything before it goes in my tank.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps ususlly last about a month and slowly turn white starting at the tips. I have not seen any pests when checking at night and dip everything before it goes in my tank.
White tips usually indicate ALK burn. What test kits are you using and how often are you testing?

jsak1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you not giving your corals any white, red, or green light? If your trying to keep acros you’ll need to know what your phosphates are at not just below .03

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you not giving your corals any white, red, or green light? If your trying to keep acros you’ll need to know what your phosphates are at not just below .03
I was giving 10% whites but had so much algae building up on the glass daily it was quite ridiculous. The po4 salifert kit reads either zero or .03 the color is not quite .03 but its deffinately not clear.

jsak1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was giving 10% whites but had so much algae building up on the glass daily it was quite ridiculous. The po4 salifert kit reads either zero or .03 the color is not quite .03 but its deffinately not clear.

The corals still need those colors though, try giving like 10-15 white, green 5-10 and red 5 you don’t need much. Turn down the uv’s and blues a little if algae’s that bad. Buy the Hanna ultra low range phosphate or phosphorus tester, it will read down to .01 ppm. If your test kit goes from 0 to .03 and your under .03 then you could be at 0 and that will kill corals. Probably want to keep it in the .025-.05 range and your tester isn’t meant for that range.

jsak1976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What hydras do you have 26’s or 52’s?

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with all dry rock the I would seriously consider looking into dosing some Form of bacteria. I’ve started many tanks with live rock and had SPS flourish at the three month mark. First dry rock start and I was struggling with everything at the 9 month mark.

I agree lighting is not optimum. However i wouldn’t think it would lead to STN and death of coral. The height of your light may have some negative impact depending g on height.

Bottom line. Your parameters are good if stable. Bring in a little white, red and green like posted already. I wouldn’t make changes to the tank that attempts to avoid algae growth unless your parameters are way out of whack which they r not. Typically those changes can lead to upsetting g SPS.

OP
OP
J

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started with all dry rock the I would seriously consider looking into dosing some Form of bacteria. I’ve started many tanks with live rock and had SPS flourish at the three month mark. First dry rock start and I was struggling with everything at the 9 month mark.

I agree lighting is not optimum. However i wouldn’t think it would lead to STN and death of coral. The height of your light may have some negative impact depending g on height.

Bottom line. Your parameters are good if stable. Bring in a little white, red and green like posted already. I wouldn’t make changes to the tank that attempts to avoid algae growth unless your parameters are way out of whack which they r not. Typically those changes can lead to upsetting g SPS.
I dose 1-2 ml of microbacter 7 every other day just to maintain. I started with half dry and half live rock from my nano tank that i had taken down. Ill add some of the red green and white and see if anything changes.

Seminoles76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. That sounds like a good plan with the micro7. Couple other thoughts.
1. Sometimes SPS and softies don’t get along. Depending on what type of softies you have.
2. I would look at flow of the tank.

And then you always see tanks where no matter what, SPS just don’t like the first year and decide to give the owner of the tank fits.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back