pH too low?

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a newer tank (about 3 mo) and I am wondering if my pH is too low.

I have read that pH is less of a concern as long as you are keeping the Alk/Ca/Mag at the right levels and I can say that I am. I just tested my parameters and I am in the green on all of them.

Ca: 440
Alk: 9.8
Mg: 1560 (still slowly coming down from a bryopsis fight)

My pH hovers around 7.7 -7.8 and that is on the very low end of what is acceptable for a reef. I have just started putting corals in and I want them to grow as best they can so I need to get my pH in check. I am currently using Kalk in the ATO to keep my parameters up and it is working good but that pH is still just not where I want it.

I also know that surface agitation is an issue and I do have 2 powerheads (on on each side on a wave maker) that get the surface moving a bit and the overflow is a coast to coast surface skim so I am constantly removing the top later of water.

Any ideas?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone. You'll likely do more harm than good trying to raise the pH. Just make sure your other parameters are in line like you already posted and you'll be fine.

Davinci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess is that you dont have enough oxygen in your house. if that is the case, you can run a line from your protein skimmer to outside so that it can get fresh air. Chech also the topoff water that you add. It can be very low ph and you will need to raise it.

OP
OP
HWDylan

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in the basement. Running a line from the skimmer to the outside is pretty much out of the question.

Like ritter pointed out, I am afraid to make any real adjustments because so far everything looks good. I have some Zoas, a small hammer, a goniopora, some palys and some star polyps and all show good polyp extension.

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, 7.8 is OK.. Keep your parameters in check and make some good aeration with your power heads, it may improve... But I wouldn't worry too much about it..

Last edited:

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with just keeping PH at 7.8. You can potentially cause more harm by trying to raise a tank .4 in PH.
If you ask most people thier PH will not be right at 8.2 and thier tanks will still look good.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's on the low end of where I would want to see my pH generally.

Is this a measurement at the end of the photo-period or the beginning? pH can swing .5 over the day due to fluxes in the CO2 caused by respiration of the organisms in the tank - so if that 7.8 is at the end of the photo-period, you might find that its even lower at the beginning. Check first thing after the lights come on.

Its a common confusion that O2 drives the pH. It doesn't - its the CO2. Good aeration can help drive off excess CO2 build up and increase the pH - but its not related to any increase in oxygen directly.
Good room ventilation helps by decreasing CO2.

OP
OP
HWDylan

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I think I will just leave it as is.

I can't really open up a window here because it is so cold outside. That pH measurement is from a pH probe (pinpoint) connected to my Neptune. The pH does not actually swing that much throught the day. It is about 7.8 at the end of the photo period and around 7.7 at the beginning. I run the fuge light opposite the main display so that should help it stay stable.

Back