pH unaffected by drawing outside air

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I am confused and frustrated. I have bad, horrible low ph (7.5-7.6) and nothing I have attempted seems to come close to remedy. I have tried co2 scrubber (iceCap, maybe bumped it to 7.8 for a few minutes a day) and now I have attempted the line outside, to no avail. It simply will not rise. I don’t know what else to do? Like water? It’s driving me nuts. If I leave the door open all day, it will increase. But I can’t do that. I know it’s atmospheric because I did the aeration test and it went to 8.12 outside, didn’t budge inside. I’m including some pictures, is my line to skimmer in the wrong place? I feel a draw on it, so I know it’s pulling. Totally lost here. It’s amazing how something that should be so simple, so isn’t.

image.jpg image.jpg 91D300FD-61E3-41D4-B68B-FB72EC58EE2B.png

ArmyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fight with Low PH in my reef due to 5 people and 3 dogs living in the house. I use a CO2 scrubber, and dose KALK to help combat it. With all of that I am between 7.7 - 7.9 during the day. In the winter months where I can open a window in the house it will go all the way to 8.4. Nothing I can do about it and I have come to accept it. The only real downfall I have seen is when it swings more than normal and goes below 7.6, but I think stability is the most important.

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although isn’t that more or less the same? The air is pulled through the silencer to feed the pump right?

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fight with Low PH in my reef due to 5 people and 3 dogs living in the house. I use a CO2 scrubber, and dose KALK to help combat it. With all of that I am between 7.7 - 7.9 during the day. In the winter months where I can open a window in the house it will go all the way to 8.4. Nothing I can do about it and I have come to accept it. The only real downfall I have seen is when it swings more than normal and goes below 7.6, but I think stability is the most important.
Well there’s only two of us and a dog, but we have a basement apartment so everything is super closed up I suppose. I just wish I could figure it out, frustrating me

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how I am confused and frustrated. I have bad, horrible low ph (7.5-7.6) and nothing I have attempted seems to come close to remedy. I have tried co2 scrubber (iceCap, maybe bumped it to 7.8 for a few minutes a day) and now I have attempted the line outside, to no avail. It simply will not rise. I don’t know what else to do? Like water? It’s driving me nuts. If I leave the door open all day, it will increase. But I can’t do that. I know it’s atmospheric because I did the aeration test and it went to 8.12 outside, didn’t budge inside. I’m including some pictures, is my line to skimmer in the wrong place? I feel a draw on it, so I know it’s pulling. Totally lost here. It’s amazing how something that should be so simple, so isn’t.

image.jpg image.jpg 91D300FD-61E3-41D4-B68B-FB72EC58EE2B.png

I had same issues this what I did. I switched to kalkwasser. I stopped using it because it raise calcium too high because I have a nano tank. Supplement part of the dosing with Kalk and the rest with 2 part. It got mine to raise from 7.6 to 8.2 during the day. I also reduced carbon dosing. Carbon reduces PH vastly. Can also get some tank fans, get more evap but higher PH. Also got a refugium and that raise it another .2.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would like to see you Alk, Cal & Mag parameters...

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DuesXX ,
when you used CO2 scrubber, you mentioned that it bumped up only for a few days… and then back to low levels, right?
What happens next? Midia exhausted?

Just to be sure, did you already calibrate the ph probe?

Cheers

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DuesXX ,
when you used CO2 scrubber, you mentioned that it bumped up only for a few days… and then back to low levels, right?

Cheers
My Hannah I have to calibrate every use for PH

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same issues this what I did. I switched to kalkwasser. I stopped using it because it raise calcium too high because I have a nano tank. Supplement part of the dosing with Kalk and the rest with 2 part. It got mine to raise from 7.6 to 8.2 during the day. I also reduced carbon dosing. Carbon reduces PH vastly. Can also get some tank fans, get more evap but higher PH. Also got a refugium and that raise it another .2.
Yeah, that’s where I’m headed, to lime water unless someone notices something I’ve missed. I don’t run any carbon dosing, and don’t really have space for a fuge

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DuesXX ,

Cheers
No, it only raised it for a brief time each day. The media turned purple but never pink after a month. Yes to ph. I just installed a new probe in my alkatronic and in the apex, I thought maybe they were worn out and not holding calibration. But my apira meter reads similar.

OP
OP
DuesXX

DuesXX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a low alkalinity level. Higher levels of alkalinity increase PH. I keep mine at 10. Most people keep there’s at 8.5.
Well with Zeovit it’s supposed to be 7.6 or there about. Maybe that’s the piece I’m missing, the correlation between dkh and ph. One can’t be high without the other?

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with Zeovit it’s supposed to be 7.6 or there about. Maybe that’s the piece I’m missing, the correlation between dkh and ph. One can’t be high without the other?
Alkalinity boosts PH that is kalkwasser is called alkwasser haha :)

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recommend using hydorxides like kalk they can really boost your ph. Hydroxide normal ph in fresh water is at 12. Takes a little for good boost.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher alk within reason like 10 and higher ph equals double the coral growth. Like 8.4 ph

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 41.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 111 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back