pH Woes

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having some issues with my pH on a 70g system. The pH was struggling to go above 7.9 and I decided to add a co2 scrubber reactor to the skimmer. This got the pH to 8.1 but would keep dropping down to 7.9 at night which is expected especially sonce I don't have a refugium. I was having fits with my skimmer so I got a new skimmer and with the co2 scrubber and new skimmer pH was fluctuating from 8.16 at night to 8.2 just before lights off. After getting home from the holidays and ph holding steady I had to do two water changes due to some plumbing issues resulting in two roughly 20% water changes in 36 hours. The pH is now struggling to go above 7.9 according to my apex I tested with red sea ph test kit amd got pH of 8.0 and recalibrated my pH probe. Dkh is 7.7 accordong to my hanna tester with new reagent. I only have two lps corals and some zoas so I don't done and don't put kalk in the ato Reservoir. Should I start adding some kalk to it or should I just accept that stable 7.9 and not worry about chasing a 8.2pH? I do not have a calcium or magnesium test kit due to the low number of corals and only 2 lps corals. All corals look good and the lps are growing. Thoughts? Could the co2 media be used up even though it is almost all white still and not purple to indicate it has been exhausted? The wi dows were also open for about 12 hours. Running the skimmer airline outside is not an option.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would stop worrying about the pH. But - since you're worried - what's your alkalinity (I know you said 7.7 - but did you verify that?)? Are your sure your tests are correct (i.e. not expired, etc), These numbers (that you posted) for winter - with an assumedly closed house - are not going to cause any problems.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have the red see alk test that I can use to confirm the hanna, but the hanna and ph kits are not expired. A decade ago I'd get a ph of 8.2ish in the winter with a co2 scrubber on the skimmer. Which is really causing my confusion. I'll double check alk later tonight. All corals look good and are growing.

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea alk test came out to 9.5dkh

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to watch for a bit, but may have found the issue. There was water in the air silencer of my skimmer, most likely from the water changes. Sadly the silencer on my skimmer is not clear so didn't even know it was happening. I cleaned it out, dried, reinstalled and the skimmer immediately started producing more bubbles and tried overflowing. I think it was not getting proper or consistent air.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Have the red see alk test that I can use to confirm the hanna, but the hanna and ph kits are not expired. A decade ago I'd get a ph of 8.2ish in the winter with a co2 scrubber on the skimmer. Which is really causing my confusion. I'll double check alk later tonight. All corals look good and are growing.
Best of luck - don't worry about pH

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to watch for a bit, but may have found the issue. There was water in the air silencer of my skimmer, most likely from the water changes. Sadly the silencer on my skimmer is not clear so didn't even know it was happening. I cleaned it out, dried, reinstalled and the skimmer immediately started producing more bubbles and tried overflowing. I think it was not getting proper or consistent air.

Let us know what happens. :)

OP
OP
S

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know what happens. :)
Seems the issue is purely user error. The best kind of error imo. My co2 scrubber media became exhausted while I was away and got to the point it was turning back to white making me think the media was fine. Swapped the media last night and went from 7.76 to holding steady at 8.1 with lights off.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the issue is purely user error. The best kind of error imo. My co2 scrubber media became exhausted while I was away and got to the point it was turning back to white making me think the media was fine. Swapped the media last night and went from 7.76 to holding steady at 8.1 with lights off.
Id be happy with anything over 8.0. Mine swings from 7.6 to 7.9PH on most days.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the issue is purely user error. The best kind of error imo.

And a surprisingly common one to chemistry "problems" that users report. :)

Happy Reefing!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back