Ph won’t increase

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph has never been above 8.0 it’s been around 7.8. I finally got some ph increase Kent brand. I added two teaspoons and look at it today the PH dropped even more. What’s going on? I’m very concerned the fish might die. I know you should have ph level 8.0 or a little higher. Anybody have any issues like this.
I added a picture because I do have a decent amount of air bubbles from skimmer and I’m wondering if this contributes to it.

EF42CBD8-3F65-4264-8B85-6CB52ED658A4.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have access to fresh air flow?
I would open a window and check the Ph 24 hours after said window has been open.

Does it swing at all during night time/lights off?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose PH increaser please, it’s a loosing battle and impacts parameters. Throw it away

Are you running a skimmer? Aim your power heads up for some surface agitation.

How are you testing your PH?

7.8 is considered to be fine even though on the lower end

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should help...

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose PH increaser please, it’s a loosing battle and impacts parameters. Throw it away

Are you running a skimmer? Aim your power heads up for some surface agitation.

How are you testing your PH?

7.8 is considered to be fine even though on the lower end

Some further explanation here might be helpful. Kent pH up is just a high-pH buffer / Alk supplement. Unbalanced dosing of supplements is generally not a great idea and the pH boost is likely temporary for reasons provided previously.

Post in thread 'To dose (Kh Buffer) or not to dose (without other tests)' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...-dose-without-other-tests.849459/post-9229663

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph has never been above 8.0 it’s been around 7.8. I finally got some ph increase Kent brand. I added two teaspoons and look at it today the PH dropped even more. What’s going on? I’m very concerned the fish might die. I know you should have ph level 8.0 or a little higher. Anybody have any issues like this.
I added a picture because I do have a decent amount of air bubbles from skimmer and I’m wondering if this contributes to it.

DO NOT continue to add the kent product. It will boost alkalinity too much and is not the best pH increasing alk supplement anyway.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my living room fan on. No air from the outside.
While that may aid, slightly, in air exchange, it's just moving around inside air. The reason for opening a window is to allow fresh air in and let old air out. The air outside has (hopefully) more oxygen in it than the air in your house since the indoor air's oxygen levels get depleted as you any anything else living inside, use it up.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that may aid, slightly, in air exchange, it's just moving around inside air. The reason for opening a window is to allow fresh air in and let old air out. The air outside has (hopefully) more oxygen in it than the air in your house since the indoor air's oxygen levels get depleted as you any anything else living inside, use it up.

It's not oxygen. It's CO2 you are trying to reduce.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back