PH

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to see what others think about the Apex Neptune PH probe vs. other PH test equipment? I keep getting low PH levels (calibrated) alarms with the Apex system like around 7.6 but when using the Hanna PH tester I get a higher reading and when using the RedSea PH test unit, the PH is still higher around 8.1. It seems the corals are not growing but look healthy. I know the PH can have a big part of the coral growth and was wondering if the Apex PH probe correct...possible using other parameters to calculate the PH measurement.

- Some say to open a window - I usually have the back door open (which is located 4' from the tank).
- Some say to run the skimmer air tube to the outdoors, such as through a window. I think this is a bad idea. When the pet control companies come to spray, the skimmer will consume the spay into the tank from the air tube.
- Alk 8.0-8.5, Ca 420-450, Mg 1300-1310, Salt 35, ORP 410-450, & temp 77-78.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine has been fairly accurate but I do have as a backup - Pinpoint ph unit which seems to be darn good.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the probe located compared to other electrical equipment. pH probes could be effected by electrical interference. Try taking tank water in a cup, away from the tank, and see what pH you get. Or try measuring pH at different locations within the tank.

OP
OP
ShepherdReefer

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, good questions. The last time I calibrated the probe...last week. The probe is located in the compartment after the sock filter just before the skimmer. I could move the PH probe to the next compartment but if the probe is affected by electrical interference, then that compartment will be a bad idea, it has two other pumps. One for the carbon canister and another pump for the UV. I don't have any other place to place the probe. I could take the tank water in a cup and see if the reading is the same...I will try it.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meter saturated kalk at 2 liters a day so pH should be rather predicatble. I found the Apex reading drifted down over 2 months while corrals are growing.

I am contemplating a second pH probe eventually. It is only measurement I lose confidence in. ACI on ReefBum youtube channel had an interesting video on importance of chasing pH. I tend to agree mostly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back