Ph8's 225 build

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brett! Any updates? Would love to see some video (hint, hint)...

I'm so sorry to hear about the Attenuatus. I brought one back from the brink of death in QT in the summer of 2013. He lived about a year, but just never really thrived. Perhaps a healthy young male would adjust better - it's just too bad they are so hard to find.

-Terry

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a sweet setup. I have a 120 and hope to upgrade someday to a 200+ tank. Your tank is a tribute to the obvious care and husbandry skills of yours. I'll be following along. What has been your biggest challenge with this tank and what has been surprisingly easy for you?

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Terry, I really do need to do a video, it's been a really long time. I'm out of town taking the kids on a polar express train ride right now. I'll break out the video camera when I get back. After three diamond tails I'm done I think. Maybe if DD gets some larger ones but no more from NYA.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a sweet setup. I have a 120 and hope to upgrade someday to a 200+ tank. Your tank is a tribute to the obvious care and husbandry skills of yours. I'll be following along. What has been your biggest challenge with this tank and what has been surprisingly easy for you?

Hello and thanks for the nice comments. Sorry for the untimely reply. My biggest challenge is definitely stopping. I'm a hoarder and I love new fish and acros, I should have quit adding stuff long ago. Hmmmmm, surprisingly easy, probably the water chemistry part of keeping SPS and in time I've learned it's easier than I once thought. Turns out I've been making it hard on myself all these years, haha!

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is that red dragon colony? It look HUGE! very nice tank

Thanks Josh, it was a little bigger than a soft ball but unfortunately I tried to move it to the other side of the tank and it didn't like it too much. I lost most of it but was able to make a couple small frags. With the angels in there if something starts going downhill they tend to help it along. Luckily it's a fast grower and hopefully I can get it growing again.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, Terry this ones for you. Im not any better at video than pictures but I did my best :) Just realized this the first video Ive done since 2012

[video=youtube_share;eXeku9fqVE0]http://youtu.be/eXeku9fqVE0[/video]

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daddies little girl became a man and he's a pretty one

[video=youtube_share;Q6ex-WtRbp4]http://youtu.be/Q6ex-WtRbp4[/video]

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice videos Brett. The tank is looking good. Some of those colonies are getting huge.

Nice Cf. Lancelotous as well. He is gorgeous. Congratulations. How long have you had him?

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice videos Brett. The tank is looking good. Some of those colonies are getting huge.

Nice Cf. Lancelotous as well. He is gorgeous. Congratulations. How long have you had him?

Thanks man, I've been doing weekly water changes and things have responded well and I'm really liking the ESV salt mix. As you can see in the video my SPS collection is a little more than the tank can handle, hopefully I can get a frag tank added at some point this year.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like you are running out of room. A frag tank is definitely in order, or maybe even a second tank.. A second tank would five you more room for fairy wrasses.

What salt were you using before the ESV? What are your targets for your water parameters. Whatever you are doing definitely seems to be working. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
Aquaph8

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like you are running out of room. A frag tank is definitely in order, or maybe even a second tank.. A second tank would five you more room for fairy wrasses.

What salt were you using before the ESV? What are your targets for your water parameters. Whatever you are doing definitely seems to be working. Keep up the good work.

Before I was carbon dosing and running half reef crystals/ half Tropic Marin Pro in an attempt to creat a lower alk salt

Now I've stopped the carbon dosing and using ESV my tank is running
Alk 9dkh
Mag 1400
Cal 420
I'm not sure if it's the raise in Alk or the more frequent water changes but I've seen some improvement in a couple acros I was struggling getting to color up. Biggest problem now is I know there's a few that would do better with more light but I don't have the real estate to move them up.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I was carbon dosing and running half reef crystals/ half Tropic Marin Pro in an attempt to creat a lower alk salt

Now I've stopped the carbon dosing and using ESV my tank is running
Alk 9dkh
Mag 1400
Cal 420
I'm not sure if it's the raise in Alk or the more frequent water changes but I've seen some improvement in a couple acros I was struggling getting to color up. Biggest problem now is I know there's a few that would do better with more light but I don't have the real estate to move them up.

What form of carbon dosing were you doing? Also, why did you decide to stop? Were you dosing any bacteria product with the carbon?

No more real estate? Time for another tank of some sort (frag or otherwise)

Sorry, just realized I dodged your question. I honestly can't remember but if I had to guess I'd say about 8 months or so

Didn't feel that you dodged the question, but thank you for circling back and answering. He is still a beauty.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back