Philips CoralCare LED - Let the Testing Begin!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the United States is the main place to find tanks that use mostly blue light during their peak schedule. Everywhere else reefers mostly use whiter spectrums so I don’t think they care to corner a market that’s already saturated with blue led fixture options. I would dare to think that everywhere but the USA, most reefers understand the advantages of using a more white spectrum.

agree. And I tend to personally lean toward that mindset also. Don’t understand the people that wish they could run only royal blues all day and act like it’s a painful compromise to have to run full spectrum for any length of time.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree. And I tend to personally lean toward that mindset also. Don’t understand the people that wish they could run only royal blues all day and act like it’s a painful compromise to have to run full spectrum for any length of time.
giphy.gif

I think it's partially a result of the poor implementation of white led's in many fixtures. The reliance on 20k white LED's is finally shifting towards warmer whites which is helping. The Philips seems to have an even better white appearance with the amber's.

U

User1

View Badges
True. But if they want a chunk of the rest of the world market they might want to consider it.

I really don't understand this. Why do they have to conform? There are multiple channels on the light so you can adjust to your liking. If it doesn't get to the spectrum you like or believes grows corals best then it isn't for you. Shouldn't matter after that.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some need to remember that the origin of this fixture was basically designed to replace a T5 lamp installation in both functional profile and look. If that means the light does the heavy spectrum lifting, like T5's, without having any shadowing, like T5's, Reefbrites et al, will still exist and can be added to the fixture to feed the cookie monster blue needs, like T5's.

Hell, I see people adding Reefbrites to certain gen5 blue fixtures already. They don't need to destroy everyone and claim the entire US market to be a big success.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this fixture takes off here and shows more reefers what actual white light can do for certain acropora. I also hope it invites more companies to experiment with other ways of making led fixtures. Seems like we keep seeing the same fixture over and over no matter who is making it. I won’t have leds over my larger tanks any time soon but if companies start being inventive like this and start cutting out failure points, that’s what will make me switch. The whole heat, and money savings trick won’t do it for me.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if a lot of the users with the first gen of this light ran the fixture at 100% is there a thread for users not in the USA using this light? Sorry, it might not be the best place to ask sorry Dana.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light was possibly stolen...

The Philips Coral Care Gen 2 and ReefBreeders PhotonV2 both appear to have been stolen or lost. If anyone sees them show up online (particularly the Philips in GA) please message me asap.

Full disclosure, I had mentioned to Dana after he received these lights that he's welcome to hang onto them but declined.

Once the test was done I sent him the UPS labels to ship back to our club and use as a fundraiser this fall. He then personally handed them to the UPS driver who ultimately never scanned them. They were also never scanned at the facility and it's been over a week.

Unfortunately UPS has been rather difficult to deal with as a result of Covid-19 and there is still a small chance they are sitting on a loading dock or similar but they won't allow us to contact the facility. We filed a claim/investigation so who knows how much effort goes into that. Will keep fingers crossed and hope it's just an accident.

If someone works for UPS and has any advice or can help please message me.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck dealing with UPS right now. I've been fighting for over 3 weeks to find out what happened to one our packages of Gerber foils (borderline useless for anyone but a sign printer) after it dissappeared in one of their US hubs. They told me it can be up to 6! weeks to even launch the investigation, due to covid.

I have not had this type of problem with any other national courier thus far professionally. I'm not sure why UPS is pulling the extra suck versus others right now. Good luck with it.

U

User1

View Badges
If someone works for UPS and has any advice or can help please message me.

Sorry to hear. This may not help but we just ran into a similar issue with a return. The vendor was charging us $450 because they said we didn't return the item within the agreed time (30 days). Amazon reseller and UPS was the carrier. Anyway we called and they said they never received the return. We went back and forth a few times when all of a sudden I remembered I had UPS print me the ticket / tracking number.

I returned the call, they said Oh...and that was the end of that discussion. Turns out UPS lost it.

TL; DR - do you have a receipt from when the package was dropped off?

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. This may not help but we just ran into a similar issue with a return. The vendor was charging us $450 because they said we didn't return the item within the agreed time (30 days). Amazon reseller and UPS was the carrier. Anyway we called and they said they never received the return. We went back and forth a few times when all of a sudden I remembered I had UPS print me the ticket / tracking number.

I returned the call, they said Oh...and that was the end of that discussion. Turns out UPS lost it.

TL; DR - do you have a receipt from when the package was dropped off?
Unfortunately no, it was a driver pick up and never occurred to us that was necessary.

U

User1

View Badges
Unfortunately no, it was a driver pick up and never occurred to us that was necessary.

Sorry to hear. One last possibility. Any local cameras via say ring door bell or other home security? Go to date, time, and snap photo.

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oy, please everyone, stop using UPS for god sake, they are a really terrible company and nobody should do business with, seriously, year after year, after decade it's always the same story.
That situation is really disappointing :( Sorry for that lost package

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oy, please everyone, stop using UPS for god sake, they are a really terrible company and nobody should do business with, seriously, year after year, after decade it's always the same story.
That situation is really disappointing :( Sorry for that lost package
Yea and never label something "fragile".. Gets extra kicks..

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. First I’m hearing of problems with them. I know several people who say I’m nuts for shipping corals FedEx despite it being what seemingly 99% of people use

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news so far, I posted on our facebook page and Reefbreeders reached out, their light ended up getting shipped back to them. Possibly a scan on an old bar code left on the package?

Either way I've left a message with Philips to see if by some chance the same has happened.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news so far, I posted on our facebook page and Reefbreeders reached out, their light ended up getting shipped back to them. Possibly a scan on an old bar code left on the package?

Either way I've left a message with Philips to see if by some chance the same has happened.

I received an email from headquarters yesterday morning that a mystery light was delivered. "We got a single CoralCare light sent back to us, but it does not have a label on it for us to be able to identify who sent it." I thought it was a unit we were swapping out for a beta tester.

giphy.gif

Then Dana messaged me this morning.

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an email from headquarters yesterday morning that a mystery light was delivered. "We got a single CoralCare light sent back to us, but it does not have a label on it for us to be able to identify who sent it." I thought it was a unit we were swapping out for a beta tester.

giphy.gif

Then Dana messaged me this morning.
You are a glorious human being and made my day!

UPS I will say was good to work with and thankful putting this out there helped connect the dots. We are in your debt (again) Jeff.

I recently filled out a survey about how great my past experiences with CoralVue customer care has been... further validation indeed.

Sorry everyone for high jacking the thread.

Last edited:
Back