Philips CoralCare LED - Let the Testing Begin!

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have refrigerant tanks that weight that much...

Unrelated to weight, but more to the general build quality... I asked Philips on Thursday if they'll let us film a time-lapse video where we shoot the light with water to see how long it takes until it stops working. At first, I think they thought I was joking. By the end of the conversation, it seemed like they were actually coming around on the idea! I just feel like we can proclaim it has an IP65 rating all day every day, but seeing is believing! One simple video would be a lot more effective--and persuasive, too! We could easily recreate the IP65 test. But I have heard multiple stories of these lights being completely submerged for several minutes, so I don't think the constant spray is going to do much (hence the time-lapse idea). If they say yes... next step: shoot other high-end LED aquarium lights until they fail!

1642ecfcefbcb60ea1668dfb1f0b5a5b.gif

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated to weight, but more to the general build quality... I asked Philips on Thursday if they'll let us film a time-lapse video where we shoot the light with water to see how long it takes until it stops working. At first, I think they thought I was joking. By the end of the conversation, it seemed like they were actually coming around on the idea! I just feel like we can proclaim it has an IP65 rating all day every day, but seeing is believing! One simple video would be a lot more effective--and persuasive, too! We could easily recreate the IP65 test. But I have heard multiple stories of these lights being completely submerged for several minutes, so I don't think the constant spray is going to do much (hence the time-lapse idea). If they say yes... next step: shoot other high-end LED aquarium lights until they fail!

As you know, picture is worth a thousand words, so video would be big help

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We can save Phillip's time here, my buddy had one fall in his tank for minutes and it emerged functioning just fine. Fair to say, probably the most waterproof light out there currently.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people doing with their lights that multiple ones have already ended up in the water?

I only know the specifics of @Scubabum's story:

"OK. LONG STORY: Mishap might not be the correct word. More like DISASTER. lol. I was doing some wire management and the little lock nut shown with the red arrow was not tight enough and the T5 fixture tilted sending the Right Philips LED right off the T5 fixture, through my screen top and broke all my acros off the top of my scape on the right hand side. The LED was completely submerged in the water for approximately 8 minutes while I was screaming at the top of my lungs at 5am for my wife's assistance. The Philips CoralCare is IP65 rated and this was not in the plans to test. I immediately opened the entire Philips Led to inspect water damage and was pleasantly surprised to not see a single drop of water. I rinsed off the outside of the fixture and plugged it back in and it resumed the normal schedule like nothing ever happened. Don't know of any other LED light that would have survived this Nightmare. So let's just say Waterproofing test PASSED!!!!!!!!"

I can probably chase down those other stories if you're really curious.

Unrelated to Philips, just lights taking a bath... I'd been running a couple of LED lights on tank mounts for the past 5 years over my tank without any issues. I had pushed them to the back of the tank during a water change, not on the tank mounts, but just kind of balancing on the sides of the tank. I knocked one in, of course. Even though I pulled it out right away, it was toast. Thankfully, I am moving into a new aquarium anyway, so as far as timing goes, I guess it couldn't have happened at a better one.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Question - has any of the testers connected the lights to an Apex? If so, how was it done and how do you handle two or more units?

I'm curious how this is going to work, what is required, and how it looks with regards to wires and the possibility of extra components to make it work. Whew - run on sentence :(. I'm considering a change if it can provide me with my needs to an Apex or Reef Angel controller and cleans up power supplies and bricks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question - has any of the testers connected the lights to an Apex? If so, how was it done and how do you handle two or more units?

I'm curious how this is going to work, what is required, and how it looks with regards to wires and the possibility of extra components to make it work. Whew - run on sentence :(. I'm considering a change if it can provide me with my needs to an Apex or Reef Angel controller and cleans up power supplies and bricks.
Well pretty sure they said AC/DC conversion is in the light so no bricks..BUT..
not seeing an AC "pass through" nor daisy chaining control..
So each light will have 2 wires coming from them.
All dimming (APEX or otherwise) is handled via the "seperate box" I think so all wires go there..

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-14%20at%2011.49.49.png

U

User1

View Badges
Well pretty sure they said AC/DC conversion is in the light so no bricks..BUT..
not seeing an AC "pass through" nor daisy chaining control..
So each light will have 2 wires coming from them.
All dimming (APEX or otherwise) is handled via the "seperate box" I think so all wires go there..

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-14%20at%2011.49.49.png

Thanks. I'm trying to envision what this is going to look like and wire management :). The image you posted shows a RJ45 on one end with wires on the other. So maybe it will be a clean setup and no converter necessary. I'm really making an effort to reduce power bricks at all cost.

Edit: The unit / light connects to the box. Lights are not connected together such as Kessil does or in series?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm trying to envision what this is going to look like and wire management :). The image you posted shows a RJ45 on one end with wires on the other. So maybe it will be a clean setup and no converter necessary. I'm really making an effort to reduce power bricks at all cost.

Edit: The unit / light connects to the box. Lights are not connected together such as Kessil does or in series?
Labelled 1 through 4 so each light has a seperate control cable from the head to the box.
And yes just a plug from each no bricks..

Coming off the tank 4 cords ( 2 'thick" (ac) 2 thin (control) 2 lights 4 lights 8 cords..
no bricks..

Looks like small computer plugs (like fans) go into the controller .
Same w/ USB cord or Apex.

Assuming they are not for the fans you can see the 4 cords right under the far right fan

Can't fast post the image..2nd one down.

not seeing a rj45..

Controller has ch1-4 on one side (from lights) ch1,G,ch2,g on other side for ancillary dimming.
USB.. err not sure about that one.
Here it is.. reading helps..
A USB cable is plugged into the Controller via a five-pin fitting — fiddly, but once in, it doesn’t need to be removed. Plug the Controller into the computer’s USB slot, install the driver for the controller (‘CoralCare Virtual Com’), and you’re set.

OK ONE more wire w/ brick or wall wart.
assume 5v variety.
Once the Controller is programmed, the USB can be removed from the computer and plugged into a wall socket using the supplied adaptor.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Labelled 1 through 4 so each light has a seperate control cable from the head to the box.
And yes just a plug from each no bricks..

Coming off the tank 4 cords ( 2 'thick" (ac) 2 thin (control) 2 lights 4 lights 8 cords..
no bricks..

Looks like small computer plugs (like fans) go into the controller .
Same w/ USB cord or Apex.

Assuming they are not for the fans you can see the 4 cords right under the far right fan

Can't fast post the image..2nd one down.

not seeing a rj45..

Controller has ch1-4 on one side (from lights) ch1,G,ch2,g on other side for ancillary dimming.
USB.. err not sure about that one.
Here it is.. reading helps..

OK ONE more wire w/ brick or wall wart.
assume 5v variety.

So no converter needed in between? If so that could be a good thing for me as no additional boxes or converts in between are necessary.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So no converter needed in between? If so that could be a good thing for me as no additional boxes or converts in between are necessary.
Not sure of the "end" connector in the controller has the correct one for apex but the wiring is simple.

Well that does pose a question..
Most 0-10V dimming requires a REAL shutoff so lights need to be plugged into the "relay box thingy"?.. :)

In other words which "protocol" will "dim to zero" so to speak if you get my drift.

Secondly if the controller loses power (and not using Apex or other 3rd party), how long till it forgets it?

U

User1

View Badges
Not sure of the "end" connector in the controller has the correct one for apex but the wiring is simple.

Well that does pose a question..
Most 0-10V dimming requires a REAL shutoff so lights need to be plugged into the "relay box thingy"?.. :)

In other words which "protocol" will "dim to zero" so to speak if you get my drift.

Secondly if the controller loses power (and not using Apex or other 3rd party), how long till it forgets it?

Good point. I know with my DIY chips I would plug the power supply to the RA's relays or the Apex energy bar. That will get you the on / off as you pointed out. Dimming to 0 is interesting and not sure how these lights are going to work. Part of why I'm asking all these questions :D

Thanks for your help and input.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure the United States is the main place to find tanks that use mostly blue light during their peak schedule. Everywhere else reefers mostly use whiter spectrums so I don’t think they care to corner a market that’s already saturated with blue led fixture options. I would dare to think that everywhere but the USA, most reefers understand the advantages of using a more white spectrum.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back