Phillips CoralCare V2; 2020 US release

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh I don't know why people expect these to be budget lights....

Well,
They well going to be at a great price point, back in 2016.

Seems like about a tad over $600 per fixture.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I do not expect them to be budget but cheaper than other leds fixtures in the industry.
Partly because they make their own leds. They do not buy them from someone else. Someone like Ecotech has to purchase them.
Also A company the size of Philips and produces allot of light fixtures has to buy allot of material and that has to come at a discount. They make lights for allot of different industries. They also got the manufacturing muscle.

While that may be true, they are playing at a level of Orpheks, Radions, GHL mitras, etc so the price will be comperable to those fixtures.

Besides, just because they could source some of the materials at a lower price doesn't necessarily mean it would translate to cost savings to the consumer... I mean, you think it costs Ecotech anywhere near $830 to make an Xr30 G5 fixture (yes there's RND and overhead cost etc...but I mean overall mark up)?

While I would love for these to come in at half to 2/3 the price but it's not really realistic to expect premium performance and build quality at a midrange price...especially when you know many will be willing to pay the premium.

Thats why I'm sitting here with two viparspectra lights over my 120 lol.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you estimate the price point to be around?
If previous generation is of any indication, I'd say around the $700 mark would be a possible starting point.
Right? It’s got a custom (and from what it seems) pretty powerful software package, very high end commercial grade materials manufactured by one of the leaders in lighting tech and uses some of the best diodes on the market. It’s not a black box.
Well I do not expect them to be budget but cheaper than other leds fixtures in the industry.
Partly because they make their own leds. They do not buy them from someone else. Someone like Ecotech has to purchase them.
Also A company the size of Philips and produces allot of light fixtures has to buy allot of material and that has to come at a discount. They make lights for allot of different industries. They also got the manufacturing muscle.

If I were a gambling man, which any of my friends will tell you I am not, but if I were ... I would think it's going to be around the price of the G5 Radion XR30 in order to be competitive in the US market. Mind you, this is just my personal opinion. This is wildly speculative and irresponsible on my part to say, as I have no official word from company officials from the Philips or CoralVue side on this. If the light does indeed carry a 2-year warranty, that may justify a higher price. The fact that it can play nice with third-party aquarium controllers like the Apex while others are walling in their gardens is another big selling point. Heck, there are even black and white models! We'll see how it all shakes out in the weeks ahead...

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that ya'll are going to be the distributor, Jeff

Philips bombed out on the US market in 2016, but the Gen 2 version looks a lot sleeker than the first one.

Any idea when they will be available in the US market?

...they were never IN the US market, really. 220v units, no domestic vendor.

both fixed now

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do not expect them to be budget but cheaper than other high end led fixtures in the industry.

Solid point. They do have the manufacturing already in place and likely much larger material discounts than the competition. I imagine the commercial market high bay units these are likely tooled for go for a lot less than these do per panel. But that’s where the software, additional control hardware, and the additional different color diode choices may raise the price at the production level as well

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...they were never IN the US market, really. 220v units, no domestic vendor.

both fixed now

Philips said they were making a US version back in 2016.

No they weren't over here, but a few shipped some on here and used a power converter.

@Terence (Neptune Systems) was one of the few that shipped one of those.

They'll be marked up more now since Coralvue will distribute.

Abyzz prices went up when Coralvue took over Abyzz USA.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some to BRS for testing comparison to G5, Atlantik V2, Mitras and such. Lets see some objective data on this sucker, I am stoked for it.

Coral Care V1

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid point. They do have the manufacturing already in place and likely much larger material discounts than the competition. I imagine the commercial market high bay units these are likely tooled for go for a lot less than these do per panel. But that’s where the software, additional control hardware, and the additional different color diode choices may raise the price at the production level as well

I work in product development as well, and I can tell you, what "goes in" does not impact the bottom line much once the "market value" is calculated (assuming that they are not dealing with a negative GP. So whether they are making these for $200 each or $500 each, they are going to sell them for $800 each given that is what the market has currently embraced for a high-end light. The only reasons for them to consider lower would be if they expect drastically wider acceptance with the lower price (not super likely) or if their business plan as a company depends on them gaining significant market share in the aquarium industry (probably not the case).

Also, there is a weird phenomenon at work. We make high end bike parts, and everyone buys them for $$$ and folks complain that they should cost $ or $$. So we make a lower cost version with same performance but cheaper parts and charge $... and way fewer people buy it. Turns out that people actually WANT to spend a lot to a certain extent because the expenditure validates their purchase. Get it? Like if the coralcare cost $200 many reefers would still buy a radion because how could a $200 light be as good as a $800 light...

People are weird. But I am sure that Phillips is considering all of that.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Philips said they were making a US version back in 2016.

No they weren't over here, but a few shipped some on here and used a power converter.

@Terence (Neptune Systems) was one of the few that shipped one of those.

They'll be marked up more now since Coralvue will distribute.

Abyzz prices went up when Coralvue took over Abyzz USA.

I hear you on that, but sending a few over with a bulky converter and sending over this new slick-chicken light are two different animals methinks.

Coral Care V1

I saw that, its part of what has me so jazzed about a new gen! Thanks for the link again I may re-watch it!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are weird. But I am sure that Phillips is considering all of that.
Thanks for my humor for for the day..

So whether they are making these for $200 each or $500 each, they are going to sell them for $800

Capitalism's greatest weakness? It confuses price with value

consider the above for fun only..

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this being said if Phillips can make these for $100 USD Cost of Goods and sell them for $250 (maybe $350 after coralvue gets a cut) with a healthy GP and totally take the LED light market by storm since supply/demand wont be an issue for them (massive manufacturing base), that would be pretty awesome. Imagine there being no reason to ever buy a different light, because you can get everything you want for less than $400.

A boy can dream can't he?

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All this being said if Phillips can make these for $100 USD Cost of Goods and sell them for $250 (maybe $350 after coralvue gets a cut) with a healthy GP and totally take the LED light market by storm since supply/demand wont be an issue for them (massive manufacturing base), that would be pretty awesome. Imagine there being no reason to ever buy a different light, because you can get everything you want for less than $400.

A boy can dream can't he?
Just seems like a bold move pricing them in the same range as the tried and true Radions. While proven, I still think they cost too much and price out a large amount of consumers in the hobby. But the market doesn’t really care about my opinion at the end of the day lol

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While that may be true, they are playing at a level of Orpheks, Radions, GHL mitras, etc so the price will be comperable to those fixtures.

Besides, just because they could source some of the materials at a lower price doesn't necessarily mean it would translate to cost savings to the consumer... I mean, you think it costs Ecotech anywhere near $830 to make an Xr30 G5 fixture (yes there's RND and overhead cost etc...but I mean overall mark up)?

While I would love for these to come in at half to 2/3 the price but it's not really realistic to expect premium performance and build quality at a midrange price...especially when you know many will be willing to pay the premium.

Thats why I'm sitting here with two viparspectra lights over my 120 lol.

True, but they are the new comer to the market here. Radions are proven here. You need to break into the market.

Fact is Lighting manufactures in this hobby are ripping people big time.
These fixtures are no different than the ones I spec every day at work with some custom leds. Yea custom leds add some cost because they are not the mass produced ones we use every day and yea this hobby is smaller so they have to make up for some tooling and manufacturing.

Look up a wet location low bay price once. That would be retail price too..

But who ever said they might charge what the hobby is willing to pay is right.

If they can come in at a reasonable price though they could easily take market share pretty fast.

Honestly I still think one of the biggest hurdles for the better led fixture manufacturers in the reef hobby is price. I think people would buy more fixtures. I think people would have better result with more fixtures over a tank..

I mean for me it is. I supplement with t-5 because I do not want to spend 2400.00 for lighting.
I think a reasonably priced fixture could spike the amount of leds fixtures sold.
I think a reasonably priced fixture would draw some people from buy some of the low priced stuff.

I also agree Oreo price does not always mean quality or high end.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just seems like a bold move pricing them in the same range as the tried and true Radions. While proven, I still think they cost too much and price out a large amount of consumers in the hobby. But the market doesn’t really care about my opinion at the end of the day lol

The problem is like mentioned people in this hobby are trained to think price is quality. Coming in cheaper means lower quality to some.

I honestly think if someone brought in a quality fixture at a mid level price they could sell tons.
Lets face it there are mostly cheap or expensive fixtures.

Selling a fixture for 50 percent less profit per fixture and selling 3 times the fixtures is more overall profit.

Sometimes I think manufacturers forget this.

More people who buy your product and like it might buy other products from you.. More profit.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but they are the new comer to the market here. Radions are proven here. You need to break into the market.

Fact is Lighting manufactures in this hobby are ripping people big time.
These fixtures are no different than the ones I spec every day at work with some custom leds. Yea custom leds add some cost because they are not the mass produced ones we use every day and yea this hobby is smaller so they have to make up for some tooling and manufacturing.

Look up a wet location low bay price once. That would be retail price too..

But who ever said they might charge what the hobby is willing to pay is right.

If they can come in at a reasonable price though they could easily take market share pretty fast.

Honestly I still think one of the biggest hurdles for the better led fixture manufacturers in the reef hobby is price. I think people would buy more fixtures. I think people would have better result with more fixtures over a tank running.

I mean for me it is. I supplement with t-5 because I do not want to spend 2400.00 for lighting.
I think a reasonably priced fixture could spike the amount of leds fixtures sold.
I think a reasonably priced fixture would draw some people from buy some of the low priced stuff.

I also agree Oreo price does not always mean quality or high end.

I could not agree with you more with the part I bolded.

I use 4 marineland "reef" lights on my 180. They grow softy and lps fine, but color is super white. I only use them because 1) they were free, and 2) i think it's insane to spend $800 on a single fixture. I'm currently trying to find a decent used 60in T5 fixture because the price of LED's is so high.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyway just talked to the guy who does our estimating and wanted to figure out contractor pricing for a led lowbay for wet environment. . He said cost would not be comparable to a low bay and would be more close to horticulture fixture which are more money. He also said you have to include aesthetics which adds cost..

Anyway just got out of a meeting with a company called Forum lighting and they have some beautiful fixtures. 150 dollars a linear foot.

By the way my comments are not just about Philips they are the industry. The only thing about Philips is they are a larger manufacturer and should have a advantage on cost to produce the fixture.

I am also not against anyone charging what they can either. If the market is there more power to them.

I just think a fixture coming in mid price would sell tons.

I have 8 aquariums. If I thru Ecotech Radions just as a example over all the aquariums and used as many fixtures a I wanted it would cost me over 11,000.00 that is crazy. So they get T-5 with some leds blue strips. If A mid priced fixture came out I would convert some of them.. I tried cheap and that did not work..

I see so many people going with one fixture when they should run two or three when it should be four.

Again I think price is a big hurdle in the reef hobby for led fixtures and is holding them back..

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway just talked to the guy who does our estimating and wanted to figure out contractor pricing for a led lowbay for wet environment. . He said cost would not be comparable to a low bay and would be more close to horticulture fixture which are more money. He also said you have to include aesthetics which adds cost..

Anyway just got out of a meeting with a company called Forum lighting and they have some beautiful fixtures. 150 dollars a linear foot.

By the way my comments are not just about Philips they are the industry. The only thing about Philips is they are a larger manufacturer and should have a advantage on cost to produce the fixture.

I am also not against anyone charging what they can either. If the market is there more power to them.

I just think a fixture coming in mid price would sell tons.

I have 8 aquariums. If I thru Ecotech Radions just as a example over all the aquariums and used as many fixtures a I wanted it would cost me over 11,000.00 that is crazy. So they get T-5 with some leds blue strips. If A mid priced fixture cam out I would convert some of them.. I tried cheap and that did not work..

Is the $150/linear foot the cost to produce it? Distributor cost? Dealer? or end user?

Sounds like we're getting swindled a little bit on lighting prices.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the $150/linear foot the cost to produce it? Distributor cost? Dealer? or end user?

Sounds like we're getting swindled a little bit on lighting prices.

Contractor cost not installed. Retail would be more if it was sold retail.
Those are standard leds too.. LEDS with spectrum's we need in the hobby are usually more money than those. They are not sold in mass quantities. A 415 nm led would be more money than a standard white led.
Real UV leds actually could cost more than a fixture and that is why we rarely see anything below 400 nm.

This is a very high end fixture though.
Honestly that stuff does not get speced much because it is expensive and is used more in conference rooms, show rooms, high-end retail stores and lobbies.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contractor cost not installed. Retail would be more if it was sold retail.
Those are standard leds too.. LEDS with spectrum's we need in the hobby are usually more money than those. They are not sold in mass quantities. A 415 nm led would be more money than a standard white led.
Real UV leds actually could cost more than a fixture and that is why we rarely see anything below 400 nm.

This is a very high end fixture though.
Honestly that stuff does not get speced much because it is expensive and is used more in conference rooms and lobbies.

I can see how all the minor tweaks needed for coral growth and reef lighting adds up. But I don't see how it adds up to an $800 light.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back