Phosguard and Fluconazole

Danthefishman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2024
Messages
96
Reaction score
30
Location
Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’ve dosed fluconazole to kill my bryopsis, and it’s working. 6 days in and it’s 80% gone, which is great. However, my phosphate went from .03 to .24, and nitrates from 0 to 4.5. Is it safe to use phosguard during this treatment period? I’ve heard some say it won’t affect the medication and others say it can absorb it. AI says it’s safe to use. I’m just wondering what the consensus is. Thank you all.
 
GAO media is safe to use alongside fluconazole treatment. However, given how large your PO4 spike was/is, I would caution against dropping it too quickly and causing another swing.

I would instead manually remove as much of the dying algae as possible to prevent further nutrients* and run GFO for a slower, more sustained approach to lowering your numbers.


*stay on top of this and continue to remove it as it dies.
 
Fluconazole will not bind to phosguard and there's no other reason to think there's a problem using them together that I know of.

FWIW, the current phosphate is still within my recommended target range and I personally would not use phosguard at this point.
 
GAO media is safe to use alongside fluconazole treatment. However, given how large your PO4 spike was/is, I would caution against dropping it too quickly and causing another swing.

I would instead manually remove as much of the dying algae as possible to prevent further nutrients* and run GFO for a slower, more sustained approach to lowering your numbers.


*stay on top of this and continue to remove it as it dies.
That makes sense. Thank you for the help.
 
Fluconazole will not bind to phosguard and there's no other reason to think there's a problem using them together that I know of.

FWIW, the current phosphate is still within my recommended target range and I personally would not use phosguard at this point.
Okay, I’m going to test it again today and see where it’s at. Thank you.
 
GAO media is safe to use alongside fluconazole treatment. However, given how large your PO4 spike was/is, I would caution against dropping it too quickly and causing another swing.

I would instead manually remove as much of the dying algae as possible to prevent further nutrients* and run GFO for a slower, more sustained approach to lowering your numbers.


*stay on top of this and continue to remove it as it dies.
I agree with @Fish Styx and removing as much of the dying algae as possible. You can even pull rocks and scrub them off. As far as your nutrients, I'm in the same boat as Randy and wouldn't really worry about it. People get too tied up in numbers.
 
Fluconazole will not bind to phosguard and there's no other reason to think there's a problem using them together that I know of.

FWIW, the current phosphate is still within my recommended target range and I personally would not use phosguard at this point.
I tested the levels and this is what I got;
Nitrate 4.7
Phosphate 0.79
Alkalinity 9.8

Should I still leave it alone or should I start putting in some phosguard? The bryopsis is like 95% gone. Thank you for your help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new