Phosphate dosing

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious to hear what sps reefers are using to get phosphate up. (For those who don't have enough fish poop in their tanks)

Many thanks

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few good options in these threads....

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the replies.

Been feeding my nano tank frozen foods. Being a true nano tank, hard to keep things in-line. So many "levers" to keep things in-line.

On another matter, at the moment battling blue-green mat algae on the sand bed. I have been monitoring my nitrates and phosphates daily. Nitrates at 5ppm stable. Phosphate move from 0 to .02ppm. Sps frags doing good to great for the most part. Just have these algae growth. Recently added Vibrant. We'll see...

In terms of phosphate dosing been debating on the following:

Neophos: Recently read the concentration has been diluted. Not to sure, I want to continously buy bottled fluids.

Seachem Phosphorous: set for fw planted tank. As such not so much keen how "clean" this would be sps reef tanks.

Powder products: have not found many data experiences or product reviews.

Shaun_in_Cali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing and since I started my Dino’s have disappeared. I had previously also had an issue with Cyano (but then Dino’s took over) which is significantly reduced to the point it’s almost where I can ignore it completely.

I don’t have enough experience to quantify the effect on coral growth.

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing and since I started my Dino’s have disappeared. I had previously also had an issue with Cyano (but then Dino’s took over) which is significantly reduced to the point it’s almost where I can ignore it completely.

I don’t have enough experience to quantify the effect on coral growth.
May I ask what you dose?

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Tropic Marin Plus NP. It’s supposed to be a form of phosphate that isn’t used by algae as easily as it is corals. I have no idea how you can make phosphate mostly useful to corals (via bacteria maybe?) but figured it was worth a shot.

Maybe a chemist could explain if this has merit or if it’s bunk?

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't blast me :) but someone can explain it to me :) I see all these post about dosing Phosphates and Nitrates ,, I think how could Reefers have a problem keeping their numbers up ,, so I must be missing something ,, I put some Favia's and other LPS Corals in my tank ,, well a bit more than some :) if my numbers start to get below my target number ,, I direct feed some Reef Roids to the Favia's ,, problem solved ,, I have a pretty good amount of fish in the tank that I tend to over feed ,, that helps ,,

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. It was helpful.

Started dosing phosphates into the tank - measured and tested (daily for now for a couple of weeks). Seeing more PE and growth. Was using powder form (and then mixed with RODI) on the phosphates and am liking the results. Will switch to powder form (on the nitrates) and as I see liquids being a bit costly.

IMO nano tanks do not allow for the luxuries of utilitarian fishes - TANGS.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can I ask what mixture people use, as in how many grams per ml of rodi or where did you get the info for mixing? I was guided to James' planted tank.
I'm using potassium phosphate mixed at 0.75 tsp to 500ml of rodi, 1.3 ml should raise my 23 gallon to 0.08. I have been dosing this for 2 weeks every day and it still tests at 0.03? Is it something I just need to keep doing until it finally stops being soaked/used up? Then sits at the level I want? I'm aiming for 0.1ppm for my lps to be big and puffy again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back