Phosphate-E- & Magnesion-P-

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just ordered Phosphate-E- and Magnesion-P- off of Amazon in an attempt to tackle some problems I'm having with high phosphates (0.25ppm salifert) and low magnesium (1305ppm salifert). Not trying to chase numbers too much but two torches are very closed up and my hammer is closed up those are the two changes in my tank recently, and an alk swing as well (10ppm-7.85ppm). Also, catching the case of some cyano on my back wall is a pain in my butt... Tank is about 3 months old in a couple of days & starting with dry rock, so ugly phases are expected just trying to minimize the time that they are upon me.

The question is do you guys have anything good or bad to say about these products? Tips or tricks that could help me out of the gate once they get here to get my Euphyllia happy again as soon as possible? Tank is a 55-gallon regular Petco tank with 20 20-gallon sumps, overall about 65 gallons of water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1305 ppm magnesium is actually above the natural level in 35 ppt seawater. It's OK to raise it, if you want to for some reason, but I would not call it low.

There are drawbacks to lanthanum dosing (Phosphate E) that some have observed. Tangs seem to sometimes have issues. Dosing it in a way to collect the precipitated solids may (or may not) eliminate that concern.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1305 ppm magnesium is actually above the natural level in 35 ppt seawater. It's OK to raise it, if you want to for some reason, but I would not call it low.

There are drawbacks to lanthanum dosing (Phosphate E) that some have observed. Tangs seem to sometimes have issues. Dosing it in a way to collect the precipitated solids may (or may not) eliminate that concern
I do not have any tangs at the moment which is a positive, and I only have a yellow watchmen and some inverts. My Euphyllia is not doing to hot so trying to bring them back and my magnesium used to be higher 1300 so want to get back there and slowly pump it up to 1400. With the phosphate E how should I attack that, just dose it in my return and that’s it? Never done liquid phosphate remover ever and always very precocious when doing anything chemical. Want to minimize the damage I may cause.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are drawbacks to lanthanum dosing (Phosphate E) that some have observed. Tangs seem to sometimes have issues. Dosing it in a way to collect the precipitated solids may (or may not) eliminate that concern.
Also one question for you, if I have ph of 7.9 what would you recommend doing to raise it would like it around 8.2 and it’s always stays around 7.9-8, which I could just leave it if you advise it or should I bring it up? I see a lot having it aliens 8.3

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one question for you, if I have ph of 7.9 what would you recommend doing to raise it would like it around 8.2 and it’s always stays around 7.9-8, which I could just leave it if you advise it or should I bring it up? I see a lot having it aliens 8.3
Having it around 8.3

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open your windows and air the house out.. if that’s not a option then a co2 scrubber on your skimmer inlet.. all other options are chemical based that will raise your alkalinity and it doesn’t sound like you got much coral to consume it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back