Phosphate issues

Tailfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, I am at a lost and can't seem to get phosphate level stabilized. Yesterday when I checked level it was at .03 and today it was back up to .11 . I am using Hanna checker to test. The only thing I have done in between test was last night I mixed up 1/8 tsp of reef roids to feed ricordia and zoanthids and palys. Tank is 20 gallon frag tank only . All other parameters are with in acceptable levels so I am not sure what to do as some polyps look great and other are closed. Any help will be greatly appreciated as this is becoming a Love/Hate relationship. Thanks CJ

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wear nitrile gloves, and keep a fresh clean towel to wipe down the cuvettes. Always rinse both with RO after use.

The slightest, tiniest smudge, fingerprint, anything will throw off the spectrometer when it tests the control cuvette or the reagent cuvette.

Also, yeah, if there is debris in the water it will throw things off.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated.....the Hanna test can give different results back to back (I have tested it). I would take the average of the two readings lol.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.11 is hardly an issue, and feeding reef roids is May be what’s causing your “spike”. I wouldn’t worry about it and wouldn’t focus on it always being low. Being low on NO3 and PO4 is NOT good.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back