Phosphate level

Phil Glen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My phosphates range between 0.05 and 0.09. Nitrates are steady at 7.5. I do use Rowaphos so should i be worried that the phosphates are not reducing any lower? My corals look ok and i do water changes every two weeks.

I was under the impression the higher the phosphate then more algae will appear but i have not seen algae for many months. My clean up crew are just turbo snails although i do have a few bumble bee snails that i see on the rocks from time to time. So i presume even though the phosphates are a little high it must be my cuc that are managing any algae?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what tests are you using to measure your phosphate and nitrate levels? Assuming the tests you're using are accurate ones, then the levels you have a pretty good IMO. There's a big range of opinions regarding ideal nutrient levels for a reef tank, but the targets I try to achieve are 0.1 ppm for PO4 and 5-10 ppm NO3. That seems to be a good level so that corals stay nourished, algae is kept at a manageable or unnoticeable level, and dinos don't explode (which happens at very low nutrient levels).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My phosphates range between 0.05 and 0.09. Nitrates are steady at 7.5. I do use Rowaphos so should i be worried that the phosphates are not reducing any lower? My corals look ok and i do water changes every two weeks.

I was under the impression the higher the phosphate then more algae will appear but i have not seen algae for many months. My clean up crew are just turbo snails although i do have a few bumble bee snails that i see on the rocks from time to time. So i presume even though the phosphates are a little high it must be my cuc that are managing any algae?

Those value are fine.

Many things can limit algae growth, such as phosphate, a source of N, iron and many other trace elements, herbivores, light, etc.

OP
OP
P

Phil Glen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Hanna ULR Phosphate checker and Salifert for Nitrates.

I've stopped dosing Red Sea AB+ until last night and this morning the Phosphate level went from 0..07 yesterday to 0.09. I guess the increase could be due to dosing AB+?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I'm using Hanna ULR Phosphate checker and Salifert for Nitrates.

I've stopped dosing Red Sea AB+ until last night and this morning the Phosphate level went from 0..07 yesterday to 0.09. I guess the increase could be due to dosing AB+?

That's a very small change. It's likely due to simple test error (those values are within the expected variation of that test) and/or the daily variations that come in relation to the timing of sources such as feeding and subsequent release from organisms digesting the food. The Red Sea would count like any other food.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Randy said. Also, if you want to keep PO4 above zero, but below 0.1 ppm, I suggest you use the Hanna ULR PHOSPHORUS checker (HI736). The ULR phosphate checker you have is fine, but as Randy mentioned, its characteristics limit performance at that low of a range. HI736, however, performs well there. Salifert is fine for nitrate as it seems like keeping a precise level doesn’t matter as much as long as you’re in the 2 - 10 ppm range. (Regardless, I’ve got my fingers crossed that I win one of the new Hanna nitrate checkers in the R2R contest drawing next month!)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back