Phosphate levels ?? Unsure

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just recently added SPS so I’m trying to be careful here.

I thought all levels were great till I saw Dino’s showing back up. I have 13 nitrate and stable alk, calcium , salinity, ammonia. Everything is great.

Went to a fish store and tested 2.9ppm PHOSPHATE????

I’ve never read that high. I came home, tested with Hanna phosphate ULR and redsea kit.

HANNA TEST & redsea test.

Redsea is reading undetectable & Hanna says 0.04. Store says 2.9???

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently SPS look happy as can be. Just a reference that none of my corals are showing to be unhappy. At least for now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 30

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd trust the Hanna over the store personally. Especially since you backed up your findings with a separate test as well.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store could be wrong. I had the same question many years ago. The store test kit was old and was not giving the correct readings. I wonder if Hanna is correct; we also use the same one. How old is the tank? When we set up the 50-gallon system, the Dino kept coming back, but eventually, they went away. This was the same for our 190+-gallon system.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The store could be wrong. I had the same question many years ago. The store test kit was old and was not giving the correct readings. I wonder if Hanna is correct; we also use the same one. How old is the tank? When we set up the 50-gallon system, the Dino kept coming back, but eventually, they went away. This was the same for our 190+-gallon system.

It’s 55g and been running for 8+ months. Very concerned what is right here . I’ve never had Dino’s till a month or 2 ago. I just got a UV to hopefully clear it but I just busted the quartz sleeve. Waiting for the new one

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hannah over the store all day long…are you having any algae issues, if not that is another sign your Hanna test is good

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hannah over the store all day long…are you having any algae issues, if not that is another sign your Hanna test is good

I was having Dino’s starting. I started dosing Rowa phos last night and it didn’t show up today. I do have hair algae still however. Is it still growing ? Probably not . But it is there

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back