Phosphate overdose!! What to do?

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing phosphates and nitrates in my tank since I have a dino outbreak.

I accidentally dosed phosphates using flourish to 0.5ppm instead of 0.05ppm using their calculator (5ml instead of 0.5). I immediately added Phosguard after realizing my mistake.

What should I do? I don't have RODI water ready atm and no saltwater mixed to do a water change.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. Most of it will get bound to rock surfaces very quickly.

What have your levels been historically?

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some of my ato water to make some saltwater, should be ready in an hour or so. Should I do a water change or leave it be?

My phosphates were very low recently, i had bumped them up to 0.02 so more than a 20x increase in a short period of time scared me.

Also, my system has been established for 2 years, but some major rescaping was done recently, with the addition of rocks and sand to the existing live rock.

Last edited:

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the Phosguard out, and do a small 1-2% water change every day and then test Phosphate once every 24 hours at the same time until the numbers are where you want them.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific reason for the phoSguard removal?
It adds some aluminum which might irritate some corals.

I personally would never use it in my reef tank.

GFO is my go-to for phosphate reduction, but I implore you to wait and retest your phosphates after a few days. You might find that it will drop back down by itself (it gets adsorbed heavily to phosphate free rocks).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I accidentally dosed phosphates using flourish to 0.5ppm instead of 0.05ppm using their calculator (5ml instead of 0.5). I immediately added Phosguard after realizing my mistake.

What should I do? I don't have RODI water ready atm and no saltwater mixed to do a water change.
Teaspoon of GFO to start with. You want .04-.06 and you are 10x the safe range

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Teaspoon of GFO to start with. You want .04-.06 and you are near 10X the safe range
I would wait a few days. If he’s battling dinos, it’s likely his phosphates might drop back close to 0 after this heavy addition.

Just wait it out. The heavy phosphate dose might help you outcompete these dinos, so I think it’s good you shot too high. ;)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would wait a few days. If he’s battling dinos, it’s likely his phosphates might drop back close to 0 after this heavy addition.

Just wait it out. The heavy phosphate dose might help you outcompete these dinos, so I think it’s good you shot too high. ;)
Thanks for heads up - I missed the dino part and it may be an issue

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

When we see zero readings, automatically we assume this is the cause but by the time you see zero numbers, its because the dino has consumed the po4 and no3 and are multiplying and in turn many dose no3 and po4 to bring numbers up not realizing they are feeding these flagellates even more.
Its biological deficiencies that are causing the dino structure and tank is already doomed.
No light is first key followed by the addition of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria allowing them to thrive
Prepare by starting by blowing this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles. Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off. During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as micro bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons. Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX
You can fish fish as normal and if blackout, ambient light in room will work for them

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright I removed the phosguard, will be testing phosphates and nitrates in the morning.

Vetteguy, I don't know if your procedure is to eradicate the dinos. If so I have a plan in mind, I first have to ID the type I have to properly fight it. I read on many different posts and groups that a blackout is not the remedy for some dino types, so I will wait and see what I am dealing with before doing that.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Phos dose will likely feed the Dino as they are being consumed by the Dino. Reason we see zero readings is not the actual cause but the Dino has. Consumed them and when Dino shows up, first reaction is to test and of course it will read zero.
Dosing phosphate After the Dino is fine but can be accomplished by regular feedings if fish are present

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested phosphates 24 hours later: 0.04.

Not sure if the phosguard was responsible for the phosphate dropping down so much, but my test kit registered over 0.2 phosphates yesterday (red sea pro stops at 0.16).

Nitrates are around 5ppm. I guess I'll keep dosing phosphates to keep a 100:1 ratio for now.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested phosphates 24 hours later: 0.04.

Not sure if the phosguard was responsible for the phosphate dropping down so much, but my test kit registered over 0.2 phosphates yesterday (red sea pro stops at 0.16).

Nitrates are around 5ppm. I guess I'll keep dosing phosphates to keep a 100:1 ratio for now.
It was the rocks that dropped your phosphates IMO.

Are you implying nitrates at 100ppm and phosphates at 1ppm is ideal?

How about 0.001ppm nitrates and 0.00001 phosphates?

Ratios aren’t helpful in reef tanks. Just keep both of them in their respective targets.

OP
OP
M

MarcosTacos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant within reasonnable levels. 1ppm nitrate, 0.01ppm phosphates. Ideally 5ppm nitrate and 0.05 phosphate.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant within reasonnable levels. 1ppm nitrate, 0.01ppm phosphates. Ideally 5ppm nitrate and 0.05 phosphate.
I don‘t see how keeping a 100:1 ratio will make any difference. If it makes you feel better, then go for it, but I don‘t think anything magical would happen if you kept 1ppm nitrates and 0.01ppm phosphates Vs. 1ppm nitrates and 0.03ppm phosphates.

Our test kits aren’t even accurate enough to be able to differentiate between those phosphate values.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 68.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back