Phosphate reduction with seaklear lanthanum

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking out for me! The difference is I am not dosing all of it. I just create an equivalence bottle of phosphate Rx, then use that according to the calculator in my link above , so that bottle can last a month, depending on phosphate releasing from my rocks. As of now, with the phosphate Rx bottle that I bought, I only use few drops per day. Thanks again
Best of luck. Be careful.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, avoid dropping PO4 by more than .05 ppm daily if SPS in the system. Definitely no more than .08. I know you can and people do it, but It’s just too much of a swing/ destabilizing event. Not healthy for the tank.

IMO, reefers should avoid dosing Lanthanum Chloride in 2024. Why? Because you can accomplish the same result with the amazing equipment we have today, controlled feeding, natural bacteria, and utilizing a carbon source. Not only will you be feeding the system, but you’ll be promoting stability. Lanthanum is a pollutant that’s likely to build up over time, and isn’t healthy for the corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, avoid dropping PO4 by more than .05 ppm daily if SPS in the system. Definitely no more than .08. I know you can and people do it, but It’s just too much of a swing/ destabilizing event. Not healthy for the tank.

IMO, reefers should avoid dosing Lanthanum Chloride in 2024. Why? Because you can accomplish the same result with the amazing equipment we have today, controlled feeding, natural bacteria, and utilizing a carbon source. Not only will you be feeding the system, but you’ll be promoting stability. Lanthanum is a pollutant that’s likely to build up over time, and isn’t healthy for the corals.
I have a lot of bio media and carbon dosing, but carbon dosing lower nitrate more and can’t lower phosphate after some initial lowering , and had been running GFO, but it’s just to expensive and I hate the brown stuff collecting in the Refugium. That’s why I want to start LaCl3. Thanks

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlled feeding, Skimmer, Rock, Bacteria, Organic Carbon, done.

No pollutants. :)

IMG_0831.png

OP
OP
H

hdngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlled feeding, Skimmer, Rock, Bacteria, Organic Carbon, done.

No pollutants. :)

IMG_0831.png
I wonder what I am doing wrong. I do have a lot of fishes for 90 gallons DT and 30 gallons sump though. In fact, I just start a new thread on FB for my lawnmower blenny, because I am worry that he may not have enough food because of my new control feeding, . thanks

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what I am doing wrong. I do have a lot of fishes for 90 gallons DT and 30 gallons sump though. In fact, I just start a new thread on FB for my lawnmower blenny, because I am worry that he may not have enough food because of my new control feeding, . thanks

Not doing anything “wrong”. Every system is different. I’d love to not dose LC but nothing else I’ve tried controls the phosphate levels in my tank. If used correctly LC is very effective. Lots of successful tanks that use this approach.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try to increase your export more w/o dosing Lanthanum. I’m assuming you’re fighting the Phosphates the most.? Maybe install a ATS. Or pick a good bacteria like Waste Away. Dose only 1/8 dose on a pump and spread it out over the course of a day. Feed it with organic carbon.

Let’s take Coral Euphoria for example since he’s well known in the hobby. This is what he’s feeding to 450/G daily. Many reefers feed 5-10x this amount and believe it’s normal, but most have a difficult time exporting all the food. Personally, I feed based on nutrient levels and what’s going on in the system.

IMG_3092.jpeg

If your tank is young, it could be lacking the maturity needed to help process all the waste. The microbial community may not be up for the task. Maybe they are starved, lack enough trace elements, or depleted. Feed them and give the traces needed to double and triple.

IMG_3159.jpeg

Reach out on Facebook “Reefahholic Houston”, and I can help lead you in the right direction if you’re interested. Measured feeding is good, but when the bacteria population gets large enough, you can feed more, and the corals benefit much more.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doing anything “wrong”. Every system is different. I’d love to not dose LC but nothing else I’ve tried controls the phosphate levels in my tank. If used correctly LC is very effective. Lots of successful tanks that use this approach.
How does phosphate get into a system? :)

“We” add it.

If we add them, we also have the ability to control them. That could be by reducing the fish load, controlled feeding, or increasing nutrient export. This is 2024. Many systems are completely stripped of nutrients due to the amazing equipment we have today. If you’re fighting nutrients, it’s time to take a step back and consider another approach. They are much better options than Lanthanum Chloride.

Btw…I do not dose it anymore and haven’t in 6-8 years or so. If I can do it, anybody can do it.

IMG_3259.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I actually have good results so far with the phosphate Rx that I bought. So if my formula is right , it’s just continuing of what I am doing. I like to create the phosphate Rx equivalent because of the readily available calculator by Larry. Thanks again!

The problem isn't the calculator. The calculator is nothing more than providing a front end, UI, to the recommended dosing guidelines from the product (instructions).

You state: 5.2ml of Seaklear lanthanum to mix with 25ml of RODI to make a 30ml bottle of phosphate Rx.

How did you come up with that formula/ratio? As mentioned earlier you can take a gallon of water, run the math on the calculator, and see how close it is. I would not test on your display.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back