Phosphates seem way to high!

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big problem I’m pretty sure. I tested my phosphate multiple times throughout multiple days and it’s been above 0.9 I’m not sure exactly what it’s at since my Hanna checker only goes up to 0.9 so I at least know it’s above that. I tested my rodi water and new saltwater and they were both at 0 or 0.01. The tank is newer or new to me I got it a few months ago and moved it to my place and kept all the old sand and rock I did make sure to try to clean out the sand as best as I could. I am very concerned about my tank and being new to the hobby I’m not sure what to do. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
B

blakeu21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big problem I’m pretty sure. I tested my phosphate multiple times throughout multiple days and it’s been above 0.9 I’m not sure exactly what it’s at since my Hanna checker only goes up to 0.9 so I at least know it’s above that. I tested my rodi water and new saltwater and they were both at 0 or 0.01. The tank is newer or new to me I got it a few months ago and moved it to my place and kept all the old sand and rock I did make sure to try to clean out the sand as best as I could. I am very concerned about my tank and being new to the hobby I’m not sure what to do. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.
I have also had one coral die

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 35
Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can confirm it with a second test kit, id just add some gfo in a very fine mesh bag and toss it in the filter or filter sock.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?

If you are asking about GFO, it is among the best ways to reduce phosphate, but a media bag is often a poor way to use it because flow through it is very slow due to the small particle size.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back