Phosphates

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Rowaphos through a reactor and phosphates still between .17-.2. Besides water changes and the rowaphas is there anything else I can do, will running my lights at shorter duration help since lights cause algae? I know I’m not over feeding to be honest I forget days at a time so I don’t think it’s that.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean as freshly mixed salt water? Do you mean when I do water changes? If so no I do not test that as I get it from my local fish store.

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Rowaphos through a reactor and phosphates still between .17-.2. Besides water changes and the rowaphas is there anything else I can do, will running my lights at shorter duration help since lights cause algae? I know I’m not over feeding to be honest I forget days at a time so I don’t think it’s that.
Yes, test your fresh water. Also, NoPox by red sea might help, definitely do some research before using to see if it's what your looking for. Worked for me.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test my fresh water or the salt water prior to doing a water change? I get all my water from my local fish store.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll I can check the fresh water for sure as I have jugs of it at the house, should there be any phosphates in the fresh water I have? Can phosphates develop while the fresh water sits in the 5 gallon jugs in my garage, can that even happen?

I can’t check salt water from fish store now as I don’t have any on hand.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been having a hair algae issue can that keep phosphates high? Maybe cut back on my white lights until it’s under control better, I mean I’m getting hair algae on my power heads and never had that before.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had hair algae going on as well can that keep phosphates high?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been having a hair algae issue can that keep phosphates high? Maybe cut back on my white lights until it’s under control better, I mean I’m getting hair algae on my power heads and never had that before.
Hair algae consumes phosphates, it doesn't make them. That's why you have so much GHA, you're feeding it phosphates.

Yes, you need to test the saltwater you are getting from the LFS.
Unless you have a freshwater phosphate test, you shouldn't be testing RODI water for it.
Regardless of your test results, I always suggest you make your own RODI and SW. It's cheaper and you know when the filters are being changed.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fresh water test kit only the Hanna test kit and I think that’s salt water only but could be wrong. So the GHA is a result of the higher phosphates not causing it, ok.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if this is the problem, so when I feed I normally take a bunch of the frozen and put in a small Tupperware and keep in fridge so obviously it thaws out, once thawed I scoop some of the thawed food into my tank, las weeks I haven't let it thaw and just been putting the frozen food direclty in and my hai algae is gone and phosphates are finally low, wondering if the thawed food was causing it because compared to the frozen when I fed there was a lot of film or liquid if you will in that tank that couldn't really be eaten. Any of that make sense?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back